Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: A roof over the head

Real Name
    Shane

Re: A roof over the head

Fernando, I keep coming back to this image as I really like the scale of it. However, I find that something troubles me a bit - maybe it is the large expanse of sky between the man and the roof? What was your goal with this image?

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I also have come back to this image several times before commenting. I just now realized what had been bothering me and it doesn't have anything to do with the photo. Instead, it has to do with how I had been looking at it. I always view photos from the same relatively close distance to my monitor. If I do that, I can't see the entire image at once from top to bottom. When I move away from my monitor, I can see the image in entirety without having to scan my eyes up and down. That method of viewing it, which is not required for me in other photos, makes it a far nicer viewing pleasure.

I do like that the composition is different. It works for me, but not solely because it's different. If the sky did not have the interest of the natural gradient or if it had been interrupted by a cloud, I doubt that the photo would have worked for me. The sign is also a necessary element. Well done!
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 23rd February 2013 at 07:22 AM.

Real Name
    Shane

Mike, I think you have nailed my trouble with the image as well. When I step back a bit the image is more cohesive and the lines in the roof trusses lead my eye deeper into the image.

Real Name
    Graham Heron

Love the negative space, I can't do it.
    G

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

I love the use of space but I'm unsure if the roof adds anything to it? Adding to Mikes comments it works better for me when the roof is out of the monitor as it is an open space that could be anywhere. Its good either way.