Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Kiddies

Real Name
    Andrew

The Kiddies

Just messing around with some lighting & multiple subjects. I like the photo overall. But am open to any comments and critique I can get to improve.

Thanks for taking the time to look.

The Kiddies

Real Name
    Terry

Re: The Kiddies

I like the composition, and good expressions. Not sure about the color though. Were you trying to do a sepia thing? Would like to see it with normal skin tones.

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Technically fine and as a children family shot perfect. Delightful looking children and a photo that would be treasured by any grandmother. A bit of vignetting may give it a slightly dated look to match the sepia tones and just maybe the face on the youngest boy needs toning down a fraction.

Real Name
    Andrew

Thank you gents. Terry - I chose that cream split tone to warm it up a little. I tried several straight black & white conversions, all of which just looked a little too, well, black and white. They had a really cold feel to them. This was my attempt to correct that.

L.Paul, thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it, and will give your suggestions a try, right now!

Thanks again!

Real Name
    Daniel

I love their smiles. I personally think the Sepia looks just fine with this shot. Are they.. your kiddies?

Real Name
    mark

I agree the vignetting would go really well with the tone.

Real Name
    Andrew

Thanks Daniel - I appreciate the feedback. And yes, they're mine!

Mark, yes. I think you and L.Paul are onto something there. I'm still tossing around the idea of using the original colour image, but I'm torn.

The Kiddies

Real Name
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew76 View Post
    Thanks Daniel - I appreciate the feedback. And yes, they're mine!

Mark, yes. I think you and L.Paul are onto something there. I'm still tossing around the idea of using the original colour image, but I'm torn.

The Kiddies
    I am a big fan of black and white, and sepia color photos. I experiment with them a lot. But I have to say, I really like the color version of this shot. Very vibrant, it really captures the kids.

Real Name
    Andrew

Thanks Terry. My wife is partial to the colour one as well. Which means, that's the one I like too!

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

How did I miss this?

I like the toning a lot, though I wouldn't call it sepia. Try brightening their faces in that version. Also try darkening the background.

You might also try darkening the background in the color version.

I also agree with the idea of adding a vignette to both versions, though only a slight one that brings attention to the children's faces.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Thanks Terry. My wife is partial to the colour one as well. Which means, that's the one I like too!
    Don't give in. Fight for your beliefs..................... and then apologise and ask if it's okay for you to sort-of still like the B & W!

I accept that the colour version is what gran and auntie will probably like best (with apologies to them if I've got that wrong), but I think the B & W, as it is, packs more of a punch. Add in the vignette as a suggested above and it will be even better.

Real Name
    Andrew

Hi Mike and Donald - thanks for the feedback! It is not a sepia. I just used a creamy type colour to split tone it with.

I will make my appeals to the powers that be, and tell them that the powers that be at CiC said I should stand up for myself!!

Anyhow, I was leery of lightening the faces (I'm not sure why), but played around with a couple different vignettes, and effects. This is the one that caused the least amount of noticeable difference, but the one I liked the best.

Any thoughts? Do you like?

The Kiddies

**EDIT - it really doesn't looked like I've added anything now that I've posted it! Oh well, I'll keep trying. Thanks for the help gentlemen!

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

**EDIT - it really doesn't looked like I've added anything now that I've posted it!
    There's a big difference on my monitor and very tastefully done. I don't know that I would have noticed the vignette if you hadn't mentioned it, which makes it an ideal vignette in my mind. Using the vignette has a similar effect as brightening the faces, which I still think could be done using the same good taste. Try brightening them; you won't know if you'll like the results until you try.

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Hi Mike and Donald - thanks for the feedback! It is not a sepia. I just used a creamy type colour to split tone it with.

I will make my appeals to the powers that be, and tell them that the powers that be at CiC said I should stand up for myself!!

Anyhow, I was leery of lightening the faces (I'm not sure why), but played around with a couple different vignettes, and effects. This is the one that caused the least amount of noticeable difference, but the one I liked the best.

Any thoughts? Do you like?

The Kiddies

**EDIT - it really doesn't looked like I've added anything now that I've posted it! Oh well, I'll keep trying. Thanks for the help gentlemen!
    Hi Andrew the change is apparent and is very close to what I envisaged. How did you do the vignetting? For very subtle vignetting I do it manually by duplicating to another layer then burning and/or painting to get a slightly heavy handed version which I back of by reducing the % transparency down to what looks right.

Below is one I have quickly done using my cumbersome but controlled manual method. It will probably end up looking very similar to yours but not as dark at the bottom.

The Kiddies

Real Name
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    There's a big difference on my monitor and very tastefully done. I don't know that I would have noticed the vignette if you hadn't mentioned it, which makes it an ideal vignette in my mind. Using the vignette has a similar effect as brightening the faces, which I still think could be done using the same good taste. Try brightening them; you won't know if you'll like the results until you try.
    Thanks Mike, I respect your critique, and will try brightening the faces a little. Thanks for taking the time look, and comment!

Real Name
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by pnodrog View Post
    Hi Andrew the change is apparent and is very close to what I envisaged. How did you do the vignetting? For very subtle vignetting I do it manually by duplicating to another layer then burning and/or painting to get a slightly heavy handed version which I back of by reducing the % transparency down to what looks right.

Below is one I have quickly done using my cumbersome but controlled manual method. It will probably end up looking very similar to yours but not as dark at the bottom.
    L.Paul - Thank you very much for showing me this technique! I was lazy, and used an adjustment brush. My technique is better than using the prefabricated effects of vignette, but still not quite as controlled as yours. I purposely made the bottom darker with the brush, but after seeing your version, I don't like mine as much.

Thanks again for taking the time to comment, and help me out - it is quite appreciated!

Real Name
    Nigel

Very nice family portrait there Andrew.

Real Name
    Andrew

Thanks Nigel!

Real Name
    Jon

Andrew, I really like the most recent version. While the color version is nice, the tone and vignette in the most recent version have some strong character. Well done.

Good looking kids also.

Real Name
    Andrew

Thanks Jon - appreciate the feedback! And yes, apparently they're made that way so we can't get mad for the way they behave!

I jest, they're actually really good kids too, so the cuteness is just a bonus.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast