Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Graduation Day

Real Name
    Walad Jam

Graduation Day

Need an expert's tips and advice how to remove the flash reflections on glasses as appeared in below photo #01. This is just a record shot of my eldest son's graduation took last night, as I find it's a little distracting. To others your C&C will be helpful and appreciated:

Graduation Day#01
    Camera setting: EOS 7D, EF17-40, Manual priority mode, Focal length: 17mm, ISO 1600, f/4, 1/60sec, Speedlite 580EX II, Time: 7.35pm

Graduation Day#02
    Camera setting: EOS 5DII, EF70-200 F/4L IS, Manual priority mode, Focal length: 70mm, ISO 1600, f/4, 1/40sec
    Last edited by Walj; 25th February 2013 at 02:53 PM.

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Re: Graduation Day

Good exposure and well taken.

As far as I know there is no easy way of removing the flash reflections. Burning just makes a dirty grey blob. The approach I have taken with similar photographs is to clone with mode set to darken and transparency set to about 30% and repair on a duplicate layer. You need to clone from areas that will give you the image you need and involves being a bit of an artist. If the glasses frame needs cloning you can repair it with the mode set to normal and the transparency much higher. It is laborious but you will surprised at how good you should be able to get it. If the repair looks to strong simply reduce the layers opacity so it looks natural.

I have not needed to do this since I had content aware fill available so if I was doing it now I might be tempted to see if it could help but I doubt that it would of much use.
    Last edited by pnodrog; 23rd February 2013 at 09:06 AM.

Real Name
    Walad Jam

Re: Graduation Day

Quote Originally Posted by pnodrog View Post
    Good exposure and well taken.

As far as I know there is no easy way of removing the flash reflections. Burning just makes a dirty grey blob. The approach I have taken with similar photographs is to clone with mode set to darken and transparency set to about 30% and repair on a duplicate layer. You need to clone from areas that will give you the image you need and involves being a bit of an artist. If the glasses from needs cloning you can repair it with the mode set to normal and the transparency much higher. It is laborious but you will surprised at how good you should be able to get it. If the repair looks to strong simply reduce the layers opacity so it looks natural.

I have not needed to do this since I had content aware fill available so if I was doing it now I might be tempted to see if it could help but I doubt that it would of much use.
    Hi Paul,
    Thanks for your comments and your valuable advise. Will try that if any different otherwise I shall leave it as it is. Great! I appreciate!