Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Local tea with milk...

Real Name
    Walad Jam

Local tea with milk...

Any members ever been to Singapore, did you try this by any chance?:

Local tea with milk...
    The man within the mug handle is the drink seller of Teh Tarik. Teh is a Malay word meaning "tea" and tarik, also Malay means "to pull" or " pulled" and it is a very physical word. A likely sampling of thoughts ...

http://singaporeshiok.blogspot.sg/20...y-results.html

Real Name
    Bobo

Re: Local tea with milk...

That my friend is Indian tea.

It is an old tradition and seen typically at major transport stations. In the old days there was no way to do a quick cup of tea that was warm enough to drink and not have the customer leave with the glass. Now of course with disposables they can but the tradition continues.

Over the decades this skill moved along with those who emigrated to other countries. Flavours have changed too. Some use condensed instead of fresh milk that makes it extra sweet. Others have "secret" tea mixtures. So a cuppa from Mr Azis is different from a cuppa by Ms Kaur.

Edit --

Forgot to mention. I was once in a Malay restaurant and of course everyone ordered the tea. I asked for coffee. The owner came out and said they did not do coffee. I replied "and why not?". Try it, who knows it might become popular. So over the next couple of months whenever we went to that particular place, he would make a special coffee for me and get feedback. Later on it became a regular menu item and the boss was really happy that he had taken up the suggestion. This slowly became a regular drink in many other similar establishments. He never offered me a free one in thanks but all biz people are like that I suppose.

That was about 35 years ago.

So next time you see "pulled" coffee, you know its history.

Pic - I like it.
    Last edited by Bobobird; 16th February 2013 at 11:25 PM.

Real Name
    Walad Jam

Hi Bobo,

You are absolute right! It's an Indian tea. Most Indian drink stalls here have this menu for sure. It's a matter of delicious or otherwise. It's actually a black tea mixed with a little sugar and either condensed or evaporated milk. Most seller came from India and spoken Malay as their 2nd language. They make it "tarik" means "pulled" is to taste softer and slightly better. I'm sure you had this when you were here in 2011. I usually order this drink with ginger added during my breakfast and go along with "roti prata" (I'm sure you know this menu too). Btw, most restaurants or drink stalls here serves all kind of hot drinks beside tea and coffee. That's very strange for not do coffee..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teh_tarik
    Last edited by Walj; 17th February 2013 at 04:56 AM.

Real Name
    Bobo

Hehe. All that is because I am a slave to food of any nationality.