Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: CF Card Reader

Real Name
    Jeannie

CF Card Reader

I have never used a card reader but would like to purchase one. I have read up about card readers so pretty much know what kind I need etc, etc.

But I have one question. When I download images from my camera via cable to PC - the software lets me name the folder. An example would be JKM-2012-Thanksgiving. The software thus numbers my images as JKM-0001, JKM-0002, etc. I like to change the numbering prefix to my initials to identify them from the ones my sisters send to me. Can I do this with a card reader?

Stockholm, Sweden (and sometimes Santiago de Cuba)
    Real Name
    Urban Domeij

Re: CF Card Reader

Whether you can do it directly or not depends on just that software you are using for downloading images from the camera. If the same software kicks in when you mount the memory card in a card reader, it will do the same thing as usual. If not, then it might be another raindance. So exactly what and how you can do depends on your software. It is possible to both make a folder and rename files according to a pattern also with just the file manager, although you might think that it is more complicated.

So it boils down to the software you are using, and on what system you are using that software. As you might guess, this question of yours is not related to the camera as much as it is to the computer, its software and operating system.

Real Name
    Ted

I use the CF card to transfer files from a Sigma SD10 via a Kingston card reader to my PC running XP Pro, SP3. It opens a Windows folder on mydesktop like any other drive would and always has a folder "Images" in it - because that's how the camera formats it. Any pictures in the folder are named how the camera does it "IMGnnnnn". All can then be re-named however you like in that folder, using normal XP Pro techniques. Or you can move them onto your PC or Mac and re-name them there.

I have a sneaky feeling that this may not answer the question . . .

Real Name
    Jeannie

Thanks Ted and Urban for your reply.

I guess I shall just have to get the card reader first and see what happens. I am running the Canon browser software on Vista which makes it a little glitchy anyway because the software only supports up to Windows XP. Oh well. Sure appreciate you both taking the time to answer.

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by rosapearl View Post
    I guess I shall just have to get the card reader first and see what happens. I am running the Canon browser software on Vista which makes it a little glitchy anyway because the software only supports up to Windows XP. Oh well. Sure appreciate you both taking the time to answer.
    You should be able to edit card file names in Vista OK. You might have to set up (in Vista) how the the card reader gets opened. I have XP set to open as a folder for viewing but there are other stupid Microsoft options.

Both my computers came with Vista installed but I had them reverted to XP at the local geek shop. You might want to consider that, depending on what other applications you have. It made life much easier for me with my applications which are mostly older. "If it ain't broke . . . don't replace it" is my motto ;-)

Real Name
    Bobo

Have never used any of the software browsers provided by the camera manufacturers. They just mess things up. If you have several different brands and install those browsers as well then it becomes an even bigger mess.

I simply put the card in a reader, use Explorer to move it off the SD or CF card onto a "Pics" folder on the hard disk. The sub-folder is then renamed to yyyymmdd - location. I use a program named Better File Rename to mass replace the "img" prefix with the same yyyymmdd as the folder minus location and that's it.

The pics are then reviewed using the free FSviewer and the duds removed.

I have another program called Second Copy that is set to automatically copy off everything in that archive/work directory on the local hd to an attached external hd for archiving.

This has been the same process since XP. I skipped Vista and am on Win 7 now. Still debating whether to go to Win 8 but will let the dust settle first.

Real Name
    Richard

I open my images in PSE-10. When I plug my card reader containing the card into my computer USB port, I get a message like this...

CF Card Reader

When I select Photoshop Elements from this menu, I get a message like this.

CF Card Reader

Whatever custom name I desire will be added to the file number. I can then either delete the images from the card or not.

Previously, I have set up where I want the images to be stored. I think Lightroom and Photoshop work approximately the same way.

If I do not get the menu asking if I want PSE-10 to open the images, I can just open the images through PSE-10.

In any case, I have control of how the files are named/numbered, what format they are stored in and where they are stored.

IMO, using a CF card reader is faster and more efficient than downloading directly from the camera. This is especially true if you have UDMA capable card and camera and if you are using a UDMA capable reader.

Note: The thumbnail shown is the first shot on the card. When I am shooting portraits of several dogs, I use a different CF card for each dog. I also shoot my WhiBal Card last, rather than first. That way I have the picture of the dog come up in the thumbnail rather than an image of the WhiBal card. This way, I know what custom name (the name of the dog) I should place on the set of images.
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 18th December 2012 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rosapearl View Post
    I have never used a card reader but would like to purchase one. I have read up about card readers so pretty much know what kind I need etc, etc.

But I have one question. When I download images from my camera via cable to PC - the software lets me name the folder. An example would be JKM-2012-Thanksgiving. The software thus numbers my images as JKM-0001, JKM-0002, etc. I like to change the numbering prefix to my initials to identify them from the ones my sisters send to me. Can I do this with a card reader?
    A card reader won't come with software. it is merely a device that allows Windows to see the card in the reader as if it were another drive on your computer. You would normally see the files on a card in a card reader by using Windows Explorer / My Computer to see the files and copy them off the card on to what ever folder you want on your PC. Windows XP does not have a built in batch re-naming feature so using Windows to copy files off the card on your PC will not rename the files as you wish. No doubt a bit of Googling will turn up a suitable piece of freeware that would allow you to do this.

However, if you can get you current Canon browser software to point to the card reader as the source of your image files, rather than it looking at the camera on the end of a cable, then your current software probably will behave as before.

Ken

Real Name
    Jeannie

Thanks everyone. I think I'll be able to deal with this now. Appreciate all the help!!