Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: From Florence - part 8 - Black&Whites

Real Name
    Miltos

From Florence - part 8 - Black&Whites

This is the last part of the "From Florence" series. Two Black & White shots.

In both situation I had to deal with difficult lighting situation. A combination of harsh light and haze. The colors were totally washed up and the tonalities really bad. Fortunately in both cases the B&W conversion fit well but still lot of work was needed.
    When I saw the RAW of #20 on my computer monitor I selected it as a rejected file, it was that bad. For some reason I later decided to play with it in B&W and I am pretty pleased with the result.

For #19 I had a additional challenge, not to disturb the young couple and be totally unnoticed. Please don't get me wrong on that, I am not a paparazzi! I just wanted a candid and spontaneous shot and not spoil their moment.

I like both photos a lot and I would love to hear your thoughts.

The whole set can be found in my site

Part 1 - The River
    Part 2 - The Duomo
    Part 3 - Love Padlocks
    Part 4 - The Haze
    Part 5 - Pigeons
    Part 6 - Shadows
    Part 7 - Abstracts

~~~ The End ~~~
    Last edited by MilT0s; 9th December 2012 at 04:49 PM.

Real Name
    Richard

Re: From Florence - part 8 - Black&Whites

I love these. Great images and super B&W conversions... Placing the people in the image provides life to to the photos...

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by MilT0s View Post
    I like both photos a lot
    I should think so! It's fascinating to learn that the two images required considerable post-processing, as the look appears very natural and not at all contrived or "worked." Great job!

It's so cool that everyone in the foreground and medium ground (is that a phrase?) in #20 is walking in the same direction. Without that element, the photo would have suffered tremendously.

In #19, I would like to see just a tad less sharpening though your current version is certainly within the realm of good practice. Less sharpening would perhaps enhance the romantic element of both the couple and such a gorgeous combination of vertical man-made structures, which by the way are so perfectly positioned in the frame. Consider also decreasing the contrast in the sky considerably, as it distracts me just a bit from the couple and the vertical structures.

Now that this is your last thread from your Florence series, I want to make a special point of offering kudos for your presentation style, interesting commentary, and consistently high quality of photos throughout the series.
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 9th December 2012 at 04:39 PM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Now that this is your last thread from your Florence series, I want to make a special point of offering kudos for your presentation style, interesting commentary, and consistently high quality of photos throughout the series.
    I would endorse that statement. It has been a pleasure to this series of images, which has finished in this thread on a very high note.

These are, I think, two high quality images. In the first one, you have created a tremendous sense of depth. It has a wonderful 3D feel to it. I think the composition of the second one is excellent, with the Ponte Vecchio providing a magnificent back-stop to the scene immediately in front of us.
    Last edited by Donald; 9th December 2012 at 06:31 PM.

Real Name
    Miltos

Richard, Mike, Donald thank you very much for your kind words.

Mike what wonderful suggestions! Thank you very much, I'll work on your ideas about sharpening and sky contrast.

Donald the secret is dodge and burning. Original file was awfully flat but I liked the composition in the first place and that was my motivation.

Thank you all again.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Both excellent images IMO Miltos, my favourites in the whole set actually. Well done.

Dave

these are the most beautiful of your "Florence job" Miltos
    I saw them on your website a few days ago
    my ccompliments

Real Name
    Miltos

Dave, Nicola thank you very much

Real Name
    Paul

Have to agree, all have been a great and interesting series, Miltos. These last couple however are by a fair margin my favorite, for much the same reasons as have been stated above. Very nicely done.

Real Name
    Miltos

Paul thank you very much,glad you enjoyed the series.

Real Name
    Miltos

Following Mike's suggestion on #19 here is an altered version:

The modifications I made:

- Decrease the contrast of the sky to keep the attention on the main subjects
    - Decreased sharpening on some areas for same reason
    - Some minor dodge and burning
    - A tiny cloning
    - Noise reduction selectively on some areas

Mike original comment was:

In #19, I would like to see just a tad less sharpening though your current version is certainly within the realm of good practice. Less sharpening would perhaps enhance the romantic element of both the couple and such a gorgeous combination of vertical man-made structures, which by the way are so perfectly positioned in the frame. Consider also decreasing the contrast in the sky considerably, as it distracts me just a bit from the couple and the vertical structures.
    Would be really interested to hear your opinion on the two versions.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I think the second version is more subtle and since this appeals to me, I will say I prefer it.

However, I believe we are making comparison between two versions of a very high quality image and in whatever version you decide you keep it, you should very very proud of it.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I really like the overall look of the second version much better and am complimented that you took the time and effort to try out my ideas. However, as Donald mentioned, the first version is also wonderful.

Real Name
    Miltos

Following Mike's suggestion on #19 here is an altered version:

Modification I made:

- Decrease the contrast of the sky to keep the attention on the main subjects
    - Decreased sharpening on some areas for same reason
    - Some minor dodge and burning
    - A tiny cloning
    - Noise reduction selectively on some areas

Mike original comment was:

Would be really interested to hear your opinion on the two versions.