Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: From Florence - part 3 - Love Padlocks

Real Name
    Miltos

From Florence - part 3 - Love Padlocks

This photo set is meant to tell the story of Love Padlocks in Florence.

I am copying from wikipedia:
    Love padlocks are a custom by which padlocks are affixed to a fence, gate, bridge or similar public fixture by sweethearts at an increasing number of locations in the world to symbolize their everlasting love.

[...]

In Florence, Italy, 5,500 love padlocks affixed to the Ponte Vecchio bridge were removed by the city council. According to the council the padlocks both pose an aesthetic problem as well as scratch and dent the metal of the bridge.
    I found few padlocks in Ponte Vecchio (old bridge) and much more on top of the Duomo (Cathedral). Climbing to the dome is by the way an intense experience. I think there about a billion steps on a tiny claustrophobic stairs but the close view of the dome from the inside and the panoramic view of the city from the top really worths the efford. There is even a rescuer near the top to provide help if needed.

Here are the photos:

I hope you enjoy the photo story of this romantic trandition.

The whole set can be found in my site

Part 1 - The River
    Part 2 - The Duomo
    Part 4 - The Haze
    Part 5 - Pigeons
    Part 6 - Shadows
    Part 7 - Abstracts
    Part 8 - Black&Whites

Last edited by MilT0s; 9th December 2012 at 03:38 PM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: From Florence - part 3 - Love Padlocks

Very, very good pictures yet again. This visit to Firenze has proven to be an outstanding photographic success for you.

I have never heard of this thing about padlocks. What a stupid idea. Well done to the city authorities for removing them. Vandalism.

And yes, the steps up to top of the Duomo. Thought I was going to collapse somewhere inside that curved climb and that I'd never be found again. But, my goodness, it was worth it. I wasn't a photographer in those days (or I was, but I didn't have a camera). The memories are, instead, etched in my mind.

EDIT - Just thinking how old I must be. When I climbed to the top of the Duomo I don't think there was any of that security fencing onto which people could have out padlocks. Health & Safety hadn't been invented then.
    Last edited by Donald; 3rd December 2012 at 04:52 PM.

Real Name
    Kevin

Miltos,

I Particularly like #8 and #9 I like the deeper DoF which identifies the city as Florence, and not just any Tuscan town.

Real Name
    Steve

I had not heard of this tradition either. I like the story in your photographs.

Real Name
    Bobo

Yes one cannot always just do scenics.

Nice catch on the traditions of the city.

Real Name
    Richard

Miltos... Great shots. I have been wondering how wide the protective mesh is atop the Duomo. Is it possible to get a camera lens through the mesh so you can shoot a picture of the city without the mesh. I am an old guy and would not want to climb to the top just to peer through a mesh or shoot through it.

I never knew the traditions of the locks and what they supposedly stand for but, I agree with Donald that they are solid forms of graffiti.

BTW... Firenze is one of the most photogenic cities I have visited. Would love to return...

Real Name
    Miltos

Donald, Kevin, Steve, Bobo, Richard thank you all for your comments.

It looks like it is a fairly new trandition.

According to wikipedia again:

There are varied explanations for the origin of love padlocks. In Europe, love padlocks started appearing in the early 2000s.[2] The reasons love padlocks started to appear vary between locations, and in many instances are unsourced.
    However:
    Similarly, an attribution for the bridge Most Ljubavi (lit. the Bridge of Love—now named after the love padlocks) in Serbia exists, where they can be traced to even before World War II.
    Firenze is a city of outstanding beauty indeed (apart from the housands of tourists perhaps...).

Donald I recently celebrated my first year with a dSLR and I finally feel I "maturate" as a photographer. Thanks for the support

Richard as I recall the fence was just above my chess, say less than 1.5meters. It is high enough to feel safe but you can easily take pictures from above it even if you are not very tall. I will post some photos without the fence later.

Real Name
    Sergio

Miltos, when I first saw the title I thought maybe I was going to be seeing pictures of chastity belts. You know, padlock the love. I know, my mind is in the gutter.

Kidding aside, interesting stuff, and a great total series (part 1,2, and 3) you've shared with us.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

This is SUCH a fascinating and educational series! Every image in the set stands on its own and is different from the others. It would have been a shame to have omitted any of them.

Now that I am aware of love padlocks thanks to this wonderful thread, I predict that a mini-industry will be born. Cities and towns will make it a crime to hang the padlocks on all fences except those that are designated. They will charge enough money to pay for a guard at the designated area to ensure that the money is collected, to maintain the fence and to eventually remove the padlocks when the fence is filled with them. Designated fences will become dynamic, public works of art. The fences themselves will be made of various styles and colors. Styles of padlocks and artistry on them will develop from area to area, much as African face masks look different than Venitian face masks. Artists will sell custom painted padlocks. Companies will make padlocks that allow you to customize the printing on them. People will celebrate anniversaries, weddings and engagements by adding a padlock. Better yet, it is inevitable that there will be a photographer at each fence taking pictures of people and their padlocks, providing them a print on the spot.

Real Name
    Miltos

Sergio that would be interesting to photograph chastity belts but hopefully they have dissapeared...

Mike as you see in #8 there is already an industry making custom love padlocks with the names written on them. I even have a shot of a heart shape padlock!

Thank you both for your commets!

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I have never heard of this thing about padlocks. What a stupid idea. Well done to the city authorities for removing them. Vandalism.
    I agree Donald, it's something similar to vandalism. They are everywhere.
    take a look at Paris... it's unbelievable!