Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Great Blue Herons...

Real Name
    Joe

Great Blue Herons...

Yesterday my wife and I went to the wetlands at a nearby nature reserve. During our walk around there were hundreds of White Pelicans on the lake but too far away to photograph, but we did encounter several roosting Great Blue Herons. Posted below are three that I like. C&C welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Great Blue Herons...

Great Blue Herons...

Great Blue Herons...

Real Name
    Paul

Re: Great Blue Herons...

Geesh Joe, leave some Heron for the rest of us. lol They are fun aren't they. I really like the first against the moss, but you might try and kill some of the blue cast in the shadows.
    #2 is a nice bright image. I like finding them in trees and happens rarley here unless it is where they nest.
    #3 Looks like he is building a nest site?

Real Name
    Joe

Hi Paul, I will take a look at the shadows in the first image. A strange morning, all the Great Blues were in trees, many Egrets, Limpkins and other birds wading in the marsh but not the blues. Then Heron in image three is roosting where a pair built a non-typical nest last year. The female was sitting on the nest but nothing came about and the nest was abandoned. I wondered seeing one there again if they would try again this year.

Real Name
    Joe

Great to have another set of eyes to see what I did not. I knocked down the blue channel a bit. Thanks for pointing that out Paul. I did another edit, working it differently. I like this better.

Great Blue Herons...
    Last edited by jprzybyla; 6th December 2012 at 03:39 AM.

Real Name
    Paul

No worries Joe. Still a little in there but it is much better. Darn shadows acrossed white can be tough.

Real Name
    Bobo

Excellent images Joe, the edit of #1 looks good. #2 is superb.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    Excellent images Joe, the edit of #1 looks good. #2 is superb.
    Hello Bobo, thank you for viewing and commenting. Keep shooting my friend.

Real Name
    Otávio Oliveira

Hi Joe, (another) very nice set! #2 is my choice and, regarding #1, I prefer the edit version too. Thanks for sharing!

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Hi Joe. I like the original number one best. I want to see the blue coloring in the feathers and the sky. Perhaps selectively removing some of the blue from the feathers on the bird's breast would look a bit more natural. On the other hand, I haven't seen enough blue herons up close and personal to know what color they should be. Just the same, all are wonderful images.

The branches and mossy stuff are distracting elements in photo #1, but I don't mind them at all because I can clearly see the heron and the environment looks natural.

Good work!

Real Name
    Terri

Joe, these are great. I can't decide which I like best because they are all sharp and clear. This color thing is difficult for me because I really like the colors in the first presentation of #1. When post processing, how do you know what is real? Are there times when there really are blue color casts in the shadows? I'm afraid I may be guilty of getting a subject to the color I like as opposed to what was real because who can remember those subtleties?

Sorry for rambling on. But I do like the photos. I like seeing the environment in #1. And I like the lines and simplicity of #3. Great job!

Real Name
    james

Hi Joe, I like 2 best. It seems like he has a little attitude!

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Otavio View Post
    Hi Joe, (another) very nice set! #2 is my choice and, regarding #1, I prefer the edit version too. Thanks for sharing!
    Hello Octavio, thank you for taking time to view and comment. My pleasure to share.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Curtis View Post
    Hi Joe. I like the original number one best. I want to see the blue coloring in the feathers and the sky. Perhaps selectively removing some of the blue from the feathers on the bird's breast would look a bit more natural. On the other hand, I haven't seen enough blue herons up close and personal to know what color they should be. Just the same, all are wonderful images.

The branches and mossy stuff are distracting elements in photo #1, but I don't mind them at all because I can clearly see the heron and the environment looks natural.

Good work!
    Hello Ken, thank you for taking time to view and comment. Normally the part of the breast that has a blue cast would be white but the shadow falling on the breast creates a blue cast. What you suggest of selectively removing the bluish cast is easily done with the Adjustment Brush in Lightroom 4. Regarding the background in image #1 I did work on it to make it less distracting by darkening it so that ones eyes would be drawn to the brighter bird. Thanks again Ken.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by terrib View Post
    Joe, these are great. I can't decide which I like best because they are all sharp and clear. This color thing is difficult for me because I really like the colors in the first presentation of #1. When post processing, how do you know what is real? Are there times when there really are blue color casts in the shadows? I'm afraid I may be guilty of getting a subject to the color I like as opposed to what was real because who can remember those subtleties?

Sorry for rambling on. But I do like the photos. I like seeing the environment in #1. And I like the lines and simplicity of #3. Great job!
    Thanks Terri, I always appreciate your comments. Regarding your question... how do you know what is real, most times with bright light the cameras automatic white balance does a excellent job. Capturing the images in RAW format the images are toned down ( flat looking), lacking contrast and saturation. Most times just a slight bump up in both corrects that. The color white in shadows sometimes takes on a blue cast because of blue tones/light in shadows. Another way of knowing the correct colors is by seeing the birds and observing, I have seen hundreds of Great Blue Herons ( they are very common in Florida ). When in doubt I use the photographs in the field guides to identifying birds.

You do not ramble on, your comments are always a pleasure to read. Thanks again Terri.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by jamn4ex View Post
    Hi Joe, I like 2 best. It seems like he has a little attitude!
    Hello James, thank you for taking time to view and comment. I can relate to your comment about #2 seeming to have an attitude. He was looking me over closely.

Real Name
    Paul

Joe, while darkening that background as you have, go back in to that marker and reduce the clearity as well, see how you like it. I do that on occasion to help seperate and kill distractions. Just a little something to try when you have the time.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by jeeperman View Post
    Joe, while darkening that background as you have, go back in to that marker and reduce the clearity as well, see how you like it. I do that on occasion to help seperate and kill distractions. Just a little something to try when you have the time.
    Thanks Paul, I have never tired reducing the clarity. I shall file it away in my bag of tricks to use when trying to make a subject stand out from the background.