Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: My little Sinister Ninja Wizard

Real Name
    Mavourneen

My little Sinister Ninja Wizard

My son has been sick since last week. He had a nasty fever that was steady at 102 for 4 days straight. It finally broke this morning But he missed out on going trick or treating, so instead, I thought we'd do a mini photo shoot to cheer him up. I bought fake scars and blood and used my make-up to make his face look gory. Then he put on his costume and we went outside in the dark to take pictures of him. I used the Canon 7D, wireless transmitters, manual flash and 1- 24" softbox.

_mg_6604.jpg

_mg_6610.jpg

_mg_6625.jpg

Note: There is heavy post processing on these to give it that "sinister" effect. Some color changes, burning & dodging. I like the outcome and I think it shows what my son was hoping to be (minus the makeup though lol)

What do you think?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    John

Re: My little Sinister Ninja Wizard

Hi Mavourneen,
    A very nice set of pictures, but No.1 is fantastic. Well done.

Real Name
    Mark

Excellent work, your son must be well chuffed!

Real Name
    Mavourneen

Ah yes Number 1 is my favorite But my son just thinks its creepy and he said his friends would probably be creeped out by it as well LOL

Here's the original SOOC -

_mg_66041.jpg

huge difference, right? lol I wish I could produce what I did in photoshop directly in the camera...I need more lights and an assistant haha...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Allan Short

Very nicely done, you have make that red now look like real dried blood, as such it should creep someone out as, that is how it looks after the battle is over and you are still alive.

Cheers:

Allan

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Glad to learn that your son is on the mend if not totally back to normal health!

These are SO nice that I just have to mention the one aspect that I think is worth trying to improve if it can be done in post-processing: Notice the few places where there is no separation between the black clothing and the background. Try to get at least a little separation, such as between your son's right shoulder and the background in the first image. The same for the right side (his right side) of his hood.

Real Name
    Allen or "Lurchy" is fine

No.1 is my favourite, especilly how his eye turned out!

Real Name
    Toņo

Hi Mavourneen

Excellent job! Definitely!

For me also No.1 is my favorite. I'm curious about the composition. The way he is holding his sword divides his face in two. Why did you choose that pose?

Toņo

Real Name
    Terry

Hi Mavourneen,

I agree with Son. These are horrifyingly creepy!

I love them!

I once did a post job on one of my grand daughters that made her look like one of those vampire thingies that are(were) so popular. Twilight Saga if I remember correctly. She was pretty creepy herself. Her friends agreed! I then had a ton of requests from her friends to give them the same treatment!

Nice job on the post production.

Real Name
    Pat

Hi Mavourneen,
    Beautifully done from click to post.

Real Name
    Mavourneen

@Tono I chose that pose because it represents "strong" and an emphasis on "power". At least I see it that way.

Real Name
    Mavourneen

@Terry, That's really cool you got requests! I was thinking next Halloween to offer something like this for everyone.

Real Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Glad to learn that your son is on the mend if not totally back to normal health!

These are SO nice that I just have to mention the one aspect that I think is worth trying to improve if it can be done in post-processing: Notice the few places where there is no separation between the black clothing and the background. Try to get at least a little separation, such as between your son's right shoulder and the background in the first image. The same for the right side (his right side) of his hood.
    As everyone has said these are truly cracking shots HUGE pat on the back for these But if you did all or some of the post processing work that Mike says here then in my opinion you would make the shots look like the shots you got in the first place without the post processing that makes these good shots SO much better....

Real Name
    Mavourneen

I did all post processing work, i've been shooting for 7 years and used PS7 to PSCS4 for along time. And I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say? Are you trying to say I should have left the original image as it is? Because it doesn't look sinister..the post processing really brings it out. But every photographer is different and has their own opinion on what looks good.

Real Name
    Kevin

Hi, Mavourneen

All good, but #1 is just superb, and I love the way you processed it. Great subject for a "grunge" approach. Although the separation that Mike refers to is almost always true, in this case having your "demon" emerge seemlessly from the black background seems entirely appropriate. Your avoidance of any temptation to place him dead in the center was spot on- I couldnt but help looking over his left shoulder to see what else might loom out of the darkness. Well done.

Kevin

Real Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by mstrozewski View Post
    I did all post processing work, i've been shooting for 7 years and used PS7 to PSCS4 for along time. And I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say? Are you trying to say I should have left the original image as it is? Because it doesn't look sinister..the post processing really brings it out. But every photographer is different and has their own opinion on what looks good.
    I am sorry, i meant to say that the post processing has turned the good shots into great shots and well done for all the hard work in post processing