Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Al Fresco Prayer

Real Name
    Phil Page

Al Fresco Prayer

I quite like this image in colour and black and white, for different reasons. I was taking a walkabout in a different area of town tonight and came across this temporary mosque (portamosque?) with people praying outside:

D700, 2/35 Distagon, f2, 1/50th, ISO4500 +1EV

Black and White:

Al Fresco Prayer

Colour:

Al Fresco Prayer

Real Name
    Paul

Re: Al Fresco Prayer

Interesting Phil, I had not yet seen a Potamosque. I prefer the B&W. I really like the conversion and after seeing the red capet I had to scroll back up and check if you had left some color in the B&W as I saw the carpets as red while viewing it before I had seen the color version.

I do also like the color version for the interesting lighting and the shadows show a bit more.

Real Name
    Phil Page

Thanks Paul

I like the black and white because at night in the city you have conflicting light temperatures which can play havoc with your WB selection (I'm pretty much always on Auto WB in situations like this and shooting RAW, but sometimes pick a manual preset)

However, I like the colours that the Carl Zeiss brings out - ISO4500 on the old girl (D700) still rocks after using the D600 and D800 for a week

Real Name
    Maggie Reyes

Phil, like both shots but I'm drawn to the b/w shot. Very nice.

Real Name
    Reima

I too like both of them, the bw makes you consentrate on the people and the traditional looking carpets, when the color version makes you wonder the magical colors.

The composition would be great, for it is pleasing to the eye, but i find the contrast of modern and and traditional (especially in the color version) stealing most of the attention and somewhat breaking the mosque-like atmosphere. But then, if that is something you want to show to the viewer, then the shot is an absolute success

Technically and exposure-wise this is a very good shot.

Reima