Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Canon 60D Flash Advice

Canon 60D Flash Advice

I just bought a 60D and would like some advice on a Speedlight. I have the 18-35mm Lens that came with the kit. Not sure what else other than I would like a good all around to match the 18-135mm Lens.
    Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by Steve W; 24th October 2012 at 01:59 PM.

Real Name
    Richard

Re: Canon 60D Flash Advice

I would want a flash that has HSS (High Speed Sync) capability as well as through the lens exposure control. I shoot much or my outdoor shots with flash fill. Without HSS, I am limited to a maximum shutter sync speed of 1/250 second with my Canon DSLR cameras. This limits the aperture that I can use. I becan my photo career with manual flash (heck I used flash bulbs) and I consider TTL flash control a major improvement...

I personally prefer Canon flashes but, there is a Metz available that has all of the bells and whistles that I need. This Metz runs a bit over $200 (USD) on Amazon.com. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...G&Q=&A=details

The Canon 320EX ii or a used 320EX are also decently priced flashes to consider...

The previously mentioned flashes can be used as slaves but, not as masters. Many (probably most) photographers use only a single flash and that can be capable of quite nice lighting if used correctly...

I use the flash in conjunction with a Joe Demb Flash Diffuser Pro ( www.dembflashproducts.com ) which modifies the flash in producing natural looking bounced lighting - even when used on camera. You can use several types of diffuser reflectors ranging from a white index card affixed to the flash head to commercially manufactured units such as the Joe Demb models. I like my Flash Diffuser Pro because I consider it very versatile and because it produces excellent lighting when combined with a bounced hotshoe flash.,,

I will also often shoot my flash unit on a Stroboframe Camera Flip Bracket. This bracket also improves the capability of the flash. Although the 60D has "wireless" flash trigger capability, that method of firing a flash can be somewhat chancy when a bracket is used. This is especially true outdoors. I always use a Canon Off-Camera Sync Cord with my flash and bracket...

IMO, I consider the following parameters most important in flash work. I have listed them in what I consider the order of importance:

1. A hotshoe flash with HSS plus tilt and rotate capability which can be bounced off a ceiling or wall...

2. A diffuser-reflector to modify the bounced light....

3. An off-camera bracket...

Note:

1. I would not consider the Canon 270EX or 270EXii as an only flash. These units can tilt but cannot rotate and are also quite underpowered...

2. I have no experience with Yongnau or Nissan flashes so cannot comment on them...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 24th October 2012 at 03:28 PM.

Thanks for the advice. I will get a look at the 320EX II. I do want to stay with a Canon right now at least until I learn more.
    By the way, I have 2 Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier Rescues. We got Bonnie about 6 years ago and Tucker a couple of years ago. As soon as I get a couple of good new pics with the 60D I'll have to send them to you.

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    By the way, I have 2 Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier Rescues. We got Bonnie about 6 years ago and Tucker a couple of years ago. As soon as I get a couple of good new pics with the 60D I'll have to send them to you.
    I love the looks of Soft Coated Wheaten Terriers. Congratulations on rescuing...

When you get your flash, use it for flash fill outdoors. At the start, you will get very decent flash fill exposure using the flash straight on without a modifier, with your camera set at ISO 160 and in Programmed exposure mode. Later, you may (or may not) decide to try more sophisticated flash methods.

My Goldendoodle is sometimes mistaken for a Wheaten although she is taller.

Canon 60D Flash Advice

Flash provides catchlights in the dogs eyes as well as provides definition in the coat. I will almost always use fill flash when shooting dogs. Outdoors, it will be fill flash and indoors it will be bounced flash with my Flash Diffuser Pro...

What is your budget, Steve.

I use the Canon 580 Speedlite which works fine. Eventually, after a lot of rough use it started to fall apart - well knocked apart after many falls actually - but I glued it together and it still works! Although I have replaced it with another unit of the same model.

But there is a newer version now. Is it named 600 Speedlite? Seems to get good reviews but is a bit more expensive.

Like most equipment, the more you pay the better it is. But that is subject to your budget and intended use.