Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: In conversation with Dubaiphil

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

In conversation with Dubaiphil

It's back. Enjoy 'In conversation with .....'

Name: Phil Page

CiC: Thank you for agreeing to take part in 'In conversation with ....' here on CiC.

Thanks for inviting me!

Please tell us something about your general back-ground. What about your work history? Where you grew up? Things you have done. Anything interesting

I was born and grew up in Berkshire in England and was lucky to do a lot of travelling from an early age. My father used to work for British Airways, which meant the opportunity to visit lots of countries. We'd have several trips in school holidays and I always remember the nervous wait at the departure gate in Heathrow, to see if we'd get on the flight or not. Standby travel was occasionally worrying, but on a tight budget we managed to visit all sorts of exotic locations.

My first bit of name dropping - I went to the same prep school as the much younger and more beautiful Kate Middleton, before moving onto the same secondary school as the band members of Radiohead, but was destined for a life of mediocrity! I was a bit of an all rounder at school and played a lot of sport until my university days, after which the working week put pay to any desire to play sports during the weekends.

I've been working in Supply Chain Management since university in several companies in the UK and moved to Dubai in early 2005. For 5 years I was working for a company responsible for supplying and feeding UK MoD forces around the world and the US Military in Afghanistan. I was based in Dubai but made the occasional trip to Kabul, which was far scarier for my wife staying at home than for me. It was an adventure and an experience and tied in with the time I bought my first DSLR, but I wasn't brave enough to photograph anything or anyone in Kabul!

And what about your family life?

I met my wife Angela in Dubai 11 years ago, and she had just finished working for 2 years in the Middle East. She missed the expat lifestyle so much that after 2 months in cold wet Oxford she went back to Dubai on holiday, which coincided with my first trip to the region.

We settled down in Oxfordshire and got married in 2004 in St Lucia in the Caribbean. Angela always wanted to move back to Dubai and it was just a case of me finding the right job. This happened in 2005 and we've been in Dubai ever since. My wife and I had our first child in April this year, and we're thinking about our next move in the next few years. Possibly back to Europe, but maybe towards the Far East. Eventually we want to set up home in Italy, and every couple of years we visit different areas to find our perfect location.

If you were staying in tonight, what would you choose as one of your favourite books and/or films to keep you entertained, and what you be having as a favourite meal?

I'm not a great book reader. I prefer a good Black and White Photography magazine! I'd definitely relax by cooking a Risotto and settling back with a nice Barolo, Brunello, Montepulchiano, or Nebbiolo. However reality strikes - every night is a staying in night with a 6 month baby, involving nappies, baby puree, bath time, bed time and a quickly grabbed dinner. The wine's still there though, after bed time!

OK, photography is a given, but what about other hobbies or personal interests?

I used to play Cricket to quite a high standard, along with Rugby. Most other sports interest me apart from Football. I'll watch the England team play in tournaments (but after Euro 2012 I vowed I'd never do that again!), but I don't follow any particular team. I also love to travel and like my music. There are lots of big names in concert in Dubai and Abu Dhabi each year and everything is very accessible.

EDITOR'S PICK #1

Let's get on to photography - how long have you been a photographer, and what got you interested in the first place?

When I was young I always remembered there being a camera around, and looking through old slides taken by my father and his Olympus half frame camera. In the early 80's he bought an Olympus OM-3 and occasionally I was allowed to use it.

Then there was a lull in my interest for 25 years. My wife and I would always have a little digital point and shoot camera but never anything more serious. In 2009 I decided I'd take up photography again with my first DSLR purchase - a Nikon D90 with 18-105mm kit lens.

What type of photography are you interested in, and why?

Initially I wanted to try my hand at architectural photography. Dubai has some great modern architecture and the city was literally growing around us. The heat of the day drove me towards shooting nightscapes and acquiring a tripod. I bought cheap and bought twice, as many people do, settling on a carbon fibre Manfrotto second time around. It's beaten up after around 120,000 air miles but still works a treat.

After a few months of practice a colleague asked me to take some architectural shots for his partner's real estate company, which also required some 360 degree panoramas for virtual tours. A lot of learning as I went resulted in getting my first paid work which I then reinvested in more equipment.

Longer exposures at night led to some nice effects with smoothed water and the blurring out of people so I then moved into long exposure daytime photography. Each time I was getting some nice shots but lots of comments of 'where are all the people'! Subconsciously I always wanted to keep people out of my shots, so I made a effort to try my hand at street photography and taking the plunge of actually asking people if I could take their photograph.

I'm now mainly shooting street portraiture, cityscapes, sports, travel and a little sideline of family and baby portraiture.

Any particular photographic influences?

I've absorbed information from the internet like a sponge, but don't really have many particular influences. I love the assignment photography in National Geographic and admire the work of Michael Freeman, Steve McCurry and Joe McNally.

What do you hope to achieve through your photography - or what have you achieved already?

Ultimately I'd love a career in photography. Realistically I know that is highly unlikely! I'd like to continue improving, building up my portfolio and perhaps exhibit some of my Dubai and travel photography in the future. The only thing I have achieved, through trial and error, is a style. Whether that style is to everyone's taste is not important to me, but to have people say they recognise my photography without seeing who has posted the photograph on a forum is an achievement of sorts.

What you think of CiC? Any way it could be improved? Where should it go from here, in your opinion?

I have only recently joined CiC, but have found it to be an ideal photography forum. There are many out there but not many are informative and friendly, giving everyone a fair voice and opinion.

EDITOR'S PICK #2

Getting more personal if you don't mind...what keeps you awake at night, apart from Photoshop?

That's easy - that'll be the Avent Baby Monitor!

I have to ask this…. What photographic gear do you own, and what software do you use for editing?

I still own my Nikon D90, but it hasn't seen a shot in anger since I bought my Nikon D700 in April 2011. I have plans for it though, mainly through time lapse photography and I don't want to put a massive shutter count on my Full Frame camera! I currently use a Nikon 14-24mm f2.8, Nikon 24-70mm f2.8, Nikon 70-300mm VR, Nikon 50mm f1.4G, Nikon 85mm f1.4D and Carl Zeiss 2/35 Distagon. That's coupled with a Manfrotto Carbon Fibre Tripod and head, Pocket Wizard Flex system for my SB600 and SB700, Lastolite Softbox, Lastolite Shoot Through Umbrella and various light modifiers. As for software, I'm using Lightroom, Photoshop CS5, Nik Software Color Efex and Silver Efex. Oh, and a point and shoot Nikon for Angela and baby photos!

It's difficult to be objective, but how would you rate your photographic skills and ability?

I'd rate myself as a bit of a jack of all trades and definitely a master of none. If there's something I want to try my hand at I'll learn and give it a damned good go.

What will the digital camera be like in 2030? And will you still own one?

In 2030, despite the large equipment list above, I'd be happy with a 12MP Full Frame camera and a 35mm lens. Anything affordable on top of that is a bonus. I've found my happy place with the D700 really. A nice Leica wouldn't go amiss though!

Are you in a position to help or encourage others in their photography?

I've helped a few people with nightscapes and run some 1-2-1 coaching lessons on the basics of exposure and getting to understand their DSLR. I have a business plan though, which might involve photography tourism - I'm saying nothing more than that!

How do you feel about having your own shot taken?

Next question!

What single piece of advice do you think is most useful to someone starting out with photography?

Before you can even concentrate on composition, understand exposure, how Aperture, Shutter Speed and ISO interact and influence the image

Can we see two of your shots that mean something special to you, and could you explain why.

My first street photo with the 85mm f1.4D. I changed lenses and these 3 guys were instantly perfectly framed. I had a few people saying that the image is Nat Geo worthy, which meant a lot:

My wife had a difficult labour. Well the hospital was difficult anyway! No gas and air, the epidural was ineffective, the spinal block didn't work and so an emergency c-section under general anaesthetic was required. From both of us being in the room for our son's birth, suddenly neither of us were. So this was my first view of my son, Oliver, 30 minutes after he was born - he's going to hate his daddy for selecting this photo in a few years!

Thank you, again, for taking part in 'In conversation with .......'

Thank you very much, and it's good to find a friendly place online to hang out and learn a little more about photography, so keep up the good work!

Read all the other interviews in the series by going to this link

Real Name
    Sergio

Re: In conversation with Dubaiphil

Phil, you've had an interesting life and experiences. Thanks for letting us know you better.

I enjoy viewing your images so keep posting and giving us newbies tips and tricks.

Serge

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Sheesh, Phil! Do you only drink Italian wine?!

Real Name
    Steve

Radiohead play my theme tune; 'creep'. Can't you get Kate Middleton to pose for CiC or is she stuck up. Can't imagine what prep school was like because I didn't start school until I was eight, but I did help out in a private girls junior school where they was very nice but when they get older they turn into their parents.

You got to pay me a lot to teach that lot. Talk about St Swithin's.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Phil,

It has been great to learn more of your background and it is always good to see the 'three men' shot, that's a cracker, although I also like the coloured version of Donald's first pick too.

If there's something I want to try my hand at I'll learn and give it a damned good go.
    ... and you'll make a damned good job of it.

I hope you'll stay with CiC long enough for us to take you from being Dubaiphil, through Europephil, FarEastphil (kinda catchy that one ) to Italyphil.

Best wishes to yourself, Angela and your son,

Real Name
    Paul

Interesting read Phil and congrats on the youngster. Your images of Dubai are I believe the first to really make me want to visit there. Very nicely done.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    I hope you'll stay with CiC long enough for us to take you from being Dubaiphil, through Europephil, FarEastphil (kinda catchy that one ) to Italyphil.
    I recommend simply "PhotoPhil."

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post

It's difficult to be objective, but how would you rate your photographic skills and ability?

I'd rate myself as a bit of a jack of all trades and definitely a master of none. If there's something I want to try my hand at I'll learn and give it a damned good go.

Phil over the few weeks I have been visiting CIC and looking at your work and I certainly consider you a master of street photography. You have put up some great B&W candid portraits.

Your rugby shots were superb but as I previously mentioned you did not photograph the right team even if it was their fault not yours.

Being inquisitive (nosy?) I enjoy the background information these interviews provide - Thanks for your efforts Donald.

Real Name
    Phil Page

Quote Originally Posted by unmerited View Post
    Phil, you've had an interesting life and experiences. Thanks for letting us know you better.

I enjoy viewing your images so keep posting and giving us newbies tips and tricks.

Serge
    Thanks Serge - I'm not quite finished yet, I hope!

I'll keep posting

Real Name
    Phil Page

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Sheesh, Phil! Do you only drink Italian wine?!
    Not only, Mike, but my preference! On my last visit we stayed in a bed and breakfast which was the first Italian President's family home. Sat on top of a cellar and surrounded by vineyards, of course!!! It was in Dogliani in Piedmont, and their Dolcetto was pretty fantastic. We were going to explore Turin and San Marino while we were staying there, but with Alba, Asti, and all the Barolo and Barbaresco vineyards within 20 minutes drive we didn't go far!

You've got to love a country where their farm/vineyard tractors are made by Lamborghini!
    Last edited by dubaiphil; 20th October 2012 at 03:56 AM.

Real Name
    Phil Page

Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    Radiohead play my theme tune; 'creep'. Can't you get Kate Middleton to pose for CiC or is she stuck up. Can't imagine what prep school was like because I didn't start school until I was eight, but I did help out in a private girls junior school where they was very nice but when they get older they turn into their parents.

You got to pay me a lot to teach that lot. Talk about St Swithin's.
    Never met her, as she joined the school 2 years after I left - it wasn't a stuck up school though

Real Name
    Noel

Good to see Don and Phil back together again (Everley Brothers joke for anyone that knows them). Excellent interview Donald, shame you couldn't drag the self portrait out of Phil. Phil, I will probably never get to Dubai, but you have shown us so much of the architecture and culture that I have visited vicariously through your excellent work. Thank you very much.
    - Noel

Real Name
    Phil Page

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Phil,

It has been great to learn more of your background and it is always good to see the 'three men' shot, that's a cracker, although I also like the coloured version of Donald's first pick too.

... and you'll make a damned good job of it.

Best wishes to yourself, Angela and your son,
    Thanks Dave...!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by casper View Post
    Excellent interview
    I thought so as well.

Hope all you viewing but not commenting have enjoyed it as well.

Real Name
    Jon

Phil, I do believe I can pick out your shots with out your name attached. Excellent work and thanks for the very enightening interview. I look forward to many more dubaiphil, europhil or whatever phil photos in the future...you have exposed me to a beautiful world that I will most likely never see in person. I greatly thank you for that.

Cheers

Real Name
    Phil Page

Thanks Jon!

Real Name
    Lara

Donald and Phil....

Thank you very much for the excellent interview !!!