Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In conversation with ......Sharon Reid (aka Daisy Mae)

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

In conversation with ......Sharon Reid (aka Daisy Mae)

Name: Sharon Reid

CiC: Thanks for agreeing to take part in 'In conversation with ....' here on CiC.

A pleasure and indeed something of an honour to be asked. Thank you!

Perhaps we can start by you telling us something about your general back-ground. What about your work history – anything interesting?

I teach in the Humanities Dept of a College. Drama, Theatre etc.

Arts Background but gave up painting when I was diagnosed with Cancer in October 2009. Too much kit to carry about with easels and stuff I reckoned...oh boy did I soon learn about kit!

And what about your family life?

Happy and supportive thanks...all mad clickers back at ours, with the emphasis on mad.

Dad's a film man and mesmerised by it all. We have family in Caithness and Sutherland which is a great place for big skies and beautiful scenery.

EDITOR'S PICK #1

If you were staying in tonight, what would you choose as one of your favourite books and/or films to keep you entertained, and what you be having as a favourite meal?

Char Sui noodles, BBQ Spare Ribs, a decent single malt, any Iain Banks novel and some obscure Indian music. Film would be something by the Coen brothers but I have a short attention span these days so am more likely to watch 'The Big Bang Theory' and chatter on the Internet.

OK, photography is a given, but what about other hobbies or personal interests?

God, there are other things? no....I should really work on fixing that shouldn't I?

Let's get on to photography - how long have you been a photographer, and what got you interested in the first place?

I don't see myself as a photographer that's way too grand. I just like making pictures.

I always had a P&S then when I was diagnosed my husband gave me a Bridge camera and I found I could lose myself in the taking and editing of pictures. It kept me sane through 2 lots of major surgery and the subsequent recovery period. Pleased to say I am doing well now.......still hooked on Photography though and subsequently a lot less affluent!

What type of photography are you interested in, and why?

I have thought about this a lot because people always want to categorise what you do. Maybe I am just fickle but I take Macro, Landscape, Flowers, Street shots, Architecture and really don't concentrate on any one thing. Indeed if I feel I have done one thing for a while I will deliberately change course to keep things fresh. Maybe one day my special subject will come along, but secretly I hope not.

Any particular photographic influences?

Loads, I am always looking at all forms of artistic expression. It's like an addiction to me.

These guys spring to mind though.

http://www.markstuttard.com/

http://www.underhighlandskies.com/

What do you hope to achieve through your photography - or what have you achieved already?

I am the least ambitious person you could meet. If I can infect people with my enthusiasm for photography then I am ecstatic. Mostly it serves to keep me sane and happy in a crazy world and if I can get someone to look at something more closely or in a different way then that's amazing to me and a total bonus.

What you think of CiC? Any way it could be improved? Where should it go from here, in your opinion?

I was a bit scared of CIC at first...so many wonderful images from all over the world and I am just a wee lass from Scotland. I belong to another forum that is, what I would call, a 'hard act to please', but here I know the responses I get will be honest and well judged with no game playing.

A gripe? Well ...if you insist!

I find it a bit annoying when people from CIC comment on my Flickr account but don't comment on the thread here where they found it as well. Especially if it doesn't go down well on CIC. People either like something or they don't and you need to stand by your opinion.

Getting more personal if you don't mind...what keeps you awake at night, apart from Photoshop?

Everything..I just don't sleep.

EDITOR'S PICK #2

I have to ask this…. What photographic gear do you own, and what software do you use for editing?

Canon 40D
    Canon 450D
    Canon Powershot S95..bestest compact in the whole world. Never lets me down and always on my person. I don't get the snobbery about Compacts.

Lenses..
    Canon EFS 18-55mm kit
    Canon 'nifty fifty'
    Sigma 10-20mm

Canon EFS 55-250mm
    Canon EFS 60mm Macro
    Tamron AF 55-200mm

Kenko extension tubes for Canon, 12/20 and 36 mm

Flashring

Editing?? Picassa and Picnik..reluctant PS 8 and now Topaz.

It’s a tough one to answer, but how would you rate your photographic skills and ability?

Not tough at all that's easy! Flying by the seat of my pants and hoping no-one rumbles me.

What will the digital camera be like in 2020? And will you still own one?

All things being equal and fate being kind...Damned right I will.

If it is smaller and tripods are solid and invisible I would be happy.

Are you in a position to help or encourage others in their photography?

Hope so as I have always enjoyed teaching and hope to return to it full time very soon.

Another tough one for you…do you consider photography to be art?

Of course. It is all in the eye of the beholder even if they think they are simply recording a second in time. It is their interpretation of that moment and they are not merely an eye..they bring their whole self history to that moment.

How do you feel about having your own shot taken?

Okay, so long as it's quick. I don't do posed for more than a few seconds without making a silly face.

What single piece of advice do you think is most useful to someone starting out with photography?

Don't be hogbound by graphs and equations. You will need them but they are useless without imagination. Play with stuff and angles. It's more fun than your average camera club wants you to have (sorry). Find out who you are and what you want to say then look hard at everything and remember that the beauty of digital is you can take things too far and learn from it without great loss. Be brave and turn that image on its head once in a while.

Can we see two of your shots that mean something special to you, and could you explain why.

Oh blimey! Well my favourite shot is always the next one but just for you.

I quite like making plants look rather sultry and glamorous ( blushes) This is a simple pine from my garden

and

Sr Andrew's, Fife by Sharon Reid2010, on Flickr

because I had just got my wide angle lense and was totally in love with it

Finally, can you give us one interesting/weird/silly thing about you that we probably don’t know?

I had no bridesmaids at my wedding, just a Physicist, a hypnotist and a trained duck ...the duck brought the ring in on a cushion of velvet and the hypnotist made sure my husband said 'I do' It was a wonderful day.

You didn't guess huh?

Thank you, again, for taking part in 'In conversation with .......'

A total pleasure...Thank you for asking.

Read all the other interviews in the series by going to this link

Real Name
    Mal

Re: In conversation with ......Sharon Reid (aka Daisy Mae)

Wow - that was a whole side of you that I would never have guessed existed! Let's just say I had a completely different perception of the person you are based on the photos I've seen you post. Man was I wrong

Thanks for sharing - wonderful interview So what is your favourite single malt anyway?

A wonderful interview, thankyou for sharing Sharon, glad to hear that you are on the road to recovery

Real Name
    Kerry

Thanks for sharing Sharon. A great read :-D

Real Name
    Sharon

Thank you Wendy and Kerry.

Mal...you've got me thinking now. I hope i don't come across as serious!!

Currently Glenmorangie though I could force down Dalwhinnie or Balvenie!

Real Name
    Trace

Absolutely adore that pine photo... and yes, great interview. Also share your enthusiasm for the S95

Real Name
    Sharon

Thanks Trace...glad to find another S95 fan. I nearly clocked someone who called it a point and shoot.

I don't think a lot of people really understand compacts which is sad because on days when you don't want to humph around a great army of equipment it gives you so much choice.

Adore my 40d though.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Mae View Post
    Currently Glenmorangie
    That was me too, when for many, many years as the family owned MacDonald & Muir, they sponsored the sport of shinty, with which I was very closely involved. But then they were bought over by LVMH (Louis Vuitton Moet Hennessy) who, true to their philosophy, turned it into a luxury brand (i.e. same product but just packaged differently and made much more expensive). College teachers get paid far too much!!.

So, now my allegiance is with Highland Park. A gorgeous tipple from one of the most beautiful parts of Scotland.

Real Name
    Mal

Thank you Wendy and Kerry.

Mal...you've got me thinking now. I hope i don't come across as serious!!

Currently Glenmorangie though I could force down Dalwhinnie or Balvenie!
    Oh I don't think you come across serious necessarily. Thinking about it now I saw beauty and elegance in the flowers photos you produce and it just never occurred to me that there are hints of playfulness captured in there as well. Thinking back - some of your photos definitely have that. It's just me being obnoxious and interpreting all of your personality from your photos instead of realising it's just one aspect of you

Ah yes, Glenmorangie is one of our favourites as well. One of my personal favourites though is the Glen Fiddich 15 yr old Solera reserve.

Thanks Trace...glad to find another S95 fan. I nearly clocked someone who called it a point and shoot.

I don't think a lot of people really understand compacts which is sad because on days when you don't want to humph around a great army of equipment it gives you so much choice.
    I'm looking at a compact to take diving and I did look at the Canon S95/S100 cameras. They've got pretty good reviews and it's great to hear from someone who has one. I'm likely to go with the Olympus ZX-1 though as the underwater housing/camera combination is just a bit cheaper

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    So, now my allegiance is with Highland Park. A gorgeous tipple from one of the most beautiful parts of Scotland.
    I'll have to see if they have that over here.

Real Name
    Sharon

Donald...am in the 'sally Arms' in Ainster wi an ample dram of the guid stuff.

Looks like am gonna need it .

xx

Real Name
    Sharon

mal..get you and she over here!!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Donald...am in the 'sally Arms' in Ainster wi an ample dram of the guid stuff.

Looks like am gonna need it .
    I've got a brunch date in April. You stay well!

Real Name
    Tommy

I enjoyed that! Fun and quirky interview

Real Name
    Mal

mal..get you and she over here!!
    Scotland is already on our bucket list - don't worry You and Donald can show us all the fine single malts we've been missing out on down here.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Sharon,

I must say this held a lot of surprises for me too - somehow - even though it says "Scotland" as your Location, I had imagined you living in the states

I must be going blind as well as being deluded

Glad to know more about you, thanks for sharing.

All the best,

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    I must say this held a lot of surprises for me too - somehow - even though it says "Scotland" as your Location, I had imagined you living in the states
    Stateside! Anstruther! Is there really any difference!!?
    Last edited by Donald; 24th February 2012 at 07:58 AM.

Great read Sharon. I've never seen you as serious on forums. Just fun girl from the mad part of Britain

Thanks for sharing

Real Name
    Cakey

super star

Real Name
    Sharon

Haaaaa...thank you Dave and Cakey!

Real Name
    Louise

Well Sharon, I never... hehehe. I just loved it. I was not expecting this side of you either. And, yes mam, I will follow your example and try thnkong outside the box. And I love you pictures!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast