Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Rain Cover for Canon XSi

Real Name
    Bill

Rain Cover for Canon XSi

Mainly for Western Canadians but can use help from others as well.

I am looking for a rain cover for my camera, as it tends to be wet a lot thru the fall til spring around here. And if I say I won't shoot in the rain, then guess what I am never shooting again lol.

The reason I asked the Western Canadians first is to see if anyone knows of a local shop preferably on the mainland that I could have a peek at. I would prefer local so I can have a hands on and see if it works for me.

As well as anyone else who wants to answer, where have you found to have good deals on them, and is there something I should look out for, the goods and bads
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 4th September 2009 at 07:36 PM.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Rain Cover for Canon XSi

Hi Bill,

Completely useless geographically (says UK only), but I have bought a pair of these, never had to use 'em so far though.

http://www.chrisgoodhead.co.uk/produ...TECH&NavPage=1

Cheers,

Re: Rain Cover for Canon XSi

lolololol thoselook like the arm length gloves that vets use to give horses and cows internal exams,,,,lololol kind of obscene...

I usally wear a light parka or poncho style jacket and just zip my jacket up over the camera and just pull it out to do some quick shooting and then replace it under my jacket...

Another thing I was going to try but have not yet because it hardly rains in OC is just using a large ziploc zipper style bag and placing the bag around the camera and just letting the camera and bag dangle around my neck and just pulling the bag off before shooting...

you could also stand under a tree or an umbrella. hah I havent bought/used an umbrella for 10 years or more.

Real Name
    Richard

Kata Raincover

I can relate to the rainfall in Western Canada as I lived in Seattle, Washington for a year. It actually seem to rain only once during that year - beginning in late September and continuing until late April.

Anyway, I used a Kata Raincover on a ten day trip to Alaska's Kenai Peninsula where it rained every day. It was great and protected my camera in those relatively harsh conditions.

The Optech Rainsleeves are not quite sturdy enough for use like that. IMO, they are more for carrying in my photo vest in case it MAY rain, not for going out in conditions where it will rain every day.

I'm from Seattle and I go to school in Utah
    Real Name
    Justin

Re: Kata Raincover

I know this thread is kinda old now, but I was wondering if Bill found a solution. I live in Seattle and, believe it or not, the summer weather is not here yet. I tried an outing in the rain and tried to keep my camera in my coat when I didn't need it, but I found it really uncomfortable. Did you find an inexpensive fix? I'd like to hear about it.

Real Name
    Richard

Some folks use garbage bags while others use a sleeve cut off a cheap lightweight plastic raincoat.

I live on the west coast and can certainly sympathize with you. May I suggest an umbrella? It is cheap, available, covers you and the camera (not to mention what a good prop they are in pictures If you don't want to have to hold it while you are taking pictures you can also buy an umbrella stand.