Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Fisheye lens

Real Name
    Siva

Fisheye lens

What is the fisheye lens? and what is the use of it? In which situations do we need them? Thanks in advance.

Re: Fisheye lens

Look here for some examples of photos shot with fish eye lenses: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/105fe.htm

Just note that you either get entire frame coverage, or circular images with black borders. It depends on lens/sensor size combination.

Real Name
    Pete

They're super wide angle and have a high level of distortion. They make what you see as a straight line, curved, so they seem to have limited, but creative applications. I think they were developed to take pictures that captured most of the sky so cloud formations could be studied. They can produce some pretty amazing pics but I won't be buying one ;-)

Real Name
    Siva

Thank you for replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Hans View Post
    They're super wide angle and have a high level of distortion. They make what you see as a straight line, curved, so they seem to have limited, but creative applications. I think they were developed to take pictures that captured most of the sky so cloud formations could be studied. They can produce some pretty amazing pics but I won't be buying one ;-)
    Neither will I. Such special lenses are rarely used, so it's more cost effective to rent one instead.

Real Name
    Pete

Such special lenses are rarely used, so it's more cost effective to rent one instead.
    Great idea, too often overlooked!