Thread: La Basilica de Sacre Coer

Real Name
    Christopher Hotton

La Basilica de Sacre Coeur

I have been reviewing some of my earlier work to see how I can improve on the original editing. This image was shot on a freezing freezing December morning in Paris. My own thoughts are that the white Travertine stonework looks a little dull, does anyone have a suggestion has to how I can "whiten" it a tad?

La Basilica de Sacre Coer

Exposure: f/7.1 Shutter Speed 1/160 ISO: 100
    Last edited by ChrisH; 17th September 2012 at 07:19 PM.

Real Name
    Christopher Hotton

Re: La Basilica de Sacre Coer

I am still having problems with colour distortion when uploading to this forum. I have placed the same image of Sacre Coeur on my website, in the Paris Gallery at www.chrishotton.com Does anyone have a solution to my problem?
    Last edited by ChrisH; 17th September 2012 at 05:05 PM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Chris - I'm getting a bad link. Can't get to your website.

Real Name
    Christopher Hotton

Sorry Donald - I have changes the address to my website as for some reason the address for the specific page would not work.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Got it.

Now, I am not, of course, the one to comment on the quality of colour in an image, given my colour blindness. If anything what I'm seeing is not to much any colour shifts and that it is showing up a but brighter on here than on your own site.

Real Name
    Allen Conway

Hello,

I don't really have a photographic comment to make - except that it's a bit too religious for my tastes, and I thought that that anti-Commune monument was whiter than that - but I would like to point out that the last word is coeur or, more properly, cœur, though how you coax that ligature out of a keyboard I don't know!

Real Name
    Allan Short

Chris: I brought both images up on my screen and both colour wise and brightness are the same to my eyes (I was a colour matcher for 6 years custom matching print inks), the only difference I could see was that the CIC image showed greater detail. This was seen in the tree to the right, the low building to the left and the stone work on the large dome, both images were increased in to 150% on my screen. I do not see any difference in saturation, luninosity or tint, so I do not know how to help you. Good luck with it.

Cheers:

Allan

Real Name
    Christopher Hotton

Re: La Basilica de Sacre Coeur

Thanks Guys. Allen - my apologies for the typo. Donald/Allan - I have compared both images again and the one posted here has a green cast on my monitor. I saved a copy of this and loaded it back up to Photoshop and it came out in its original colours. I wonder if it is a problem with the calibration of my screen.

Real Name
    Tommy

Hi Chris,

On my monitor, the image on your website appears much more vibrant and saturated than the one posted on here. Strange.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

When comparing the largest size of your image at your website and the largest size displayed in the CiC Lightbox, I don't see any difference using my calibrated monitor and Firefox.

I recently learned here at CiC that the latest version of Internet Explorer, which is finally color-managed, does not display images as accurately as Firefox. So, the various responses from everyone would be more helpful if we also explained which browser is being used.

I do believe that CiC combined with Firefox are displaying images the same as when viewing them from my hard drive. Perhaps your website is doing something that CiC isn't.

To answer your question about whitening the building, you could select the building and change the color balance.

Real Name
    Christopher Hotton

Tommy - I am glad that you have seen what I have seen as I thought perhaps I had a serious computer problem. Mike - you got it spot on as I have just loaded up Firefox and the difference is dramatic. I was using Google Chrome due to a problem I was having with Safari and looking back the colour problem started around the time I did the switch.

Any way thanks for all your help.

La Basilica de Sacre Coer

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

This is the second instance in just a few weeks when it has been reported here that Google Chrome is not accurately displaying images.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    This is the second instance in just a few weeks when it has been reported here that Google Chrome is not accurately displaying images.
    And Google has just bought over NIK. Oh dear, doesn't bode well!

Real Name
    Tommy

I was using Chrome. I will use Firefox from now on when looking at CiC.