Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Wine Glasses

Real Name
    Philip

Wine Glasses

I thought that I would have another try at B & W, and this image seemed appropriate for the attempt. It was taken in a Devon restaurant where I was having coffee. The tables were already set, so I didn't move anything - if I had, it would probably have been a breach of the H & S regulations!

Wine Glasses

Thanks for viewing.

Philip

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Wine Glasses

That's a very 'clean' image in the sense of the glasses having a nice brightness and clarity. But, of course, empty wine glasses are absolutely no use to man nor beast. They need filled!

I wondered where you started from in terms of white balance and how the table cloth appeared before you started the conversion? It seems a bit grey and I suppose in such a setting we expect to see something very crisp and white.

Real Name
    Philip

Thank you, Donald.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    ...empty wine glasses are absolutely no use to man nor beast. They need filled!
    Here are some bottles for you!

Wine Glasses

I wondered where you started from in terms of white balance and how the table cloth appeared before you started the conversion? It seems a bit grey and I suppose in such a setting we expect to see something very crisp and white.
    The bottles were close to a bright window but, as you can see in that photo, the lighting was by yellow/orange lamps directed at the white ceiling, producing a warm glow in the restaurant. I suppose I could (or should?) have made it white before or during conversion.

Philip

Real Name
    Sergio

Philip, I really like this image. I agree with Donald on the brightness and clarity. I also think it has a subtle elegance to it.

Thanks for sharing the image.

Serge

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I realize that you were hesitant to move anything (though I don't understand why). Even so, the composition would be ideal for me if you had eliminated the pepper shaker and whatever is immediately behind the middle glass in the foreground. If you had also framed the image to eliminate the glass on the right, you would have the two foreground glasses with the other glasses on the distant table ideally positioned.

By the way, your use of the silverware is perfect in my mind.

Real Name
    Terri

I saw the opposite of Mike. I am intrigued by the reflections in the glass on the right against that dark background.

Real Name
    Philip

Serge, Mike and Terri - it is always interesting to read the different points of view.

Thank you for viewing and for your encouraging and helpful comments.

Philip