Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Space Shuttle Endeavor | Piggybacked

Real Name
    Robert Farkas

Space Shuttle Endeavor | Piggybacked

Was on the east coast last year to watch the final launch of Endeavor, and wanted to get one last look before it left Florida for good. For you space program buffs out there this was taken from a tour bus parked about 50 yards away. (Forgive me, this lower resolution image has tweaked the sky a bit).

Endeavor is being flown to California on Monday; the purchaser specifically requested the shuttle not be cleaned...

And for a bit of scale I've also included a wider shot that includes the 747 transport:

Last edited by PhotoRob; 16th September 2012 at 04:39 PM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Space Shuttle Endeavor | Piggybacked

It's a pity you couldn't have got the second one without all the vehicles in front, but I accept that was probably impossible.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

It's really interesting to see the apparatus required to position the shuttle on Momma Bird. Thanks for sharing this!

Real Name
    Robert Farkas

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    It's a pity you couldn't have got the second one without all the vehicles in front, but I accept that was probably impossible.
    Good point Donald; and it was tricky being stuck in that seat (not the window seat I might add) but that's hardly an excuse; this is about as close to a complete shot as I have found so far; less of the orbiter is in view but I think you still get the sense of scale:

Last edited by PhotoRob; 16th September 2012 at 04:51 PM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Oh yes. A much stronger image, in my opinion.

Real Name
    Robert Farkas

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    It's really interesting to see the apparatus required to position the shuttle on Momma Bird. Thanks for sharing this!
    You bet Mike - they use cranes to make the 'lift'; we were too late to see that manuever (days late actually) but there are pics on the NASA website...

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Even the clouds or at least the post-processing of them are better in this latest image. My wife really enjoyed this also.

Real Name
    Robert Farkas

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Even the clouds or at least the post-processing of them are better in this latest image. My wife really enjoyed this also.
    Thanks Mike, you both sound like fans of the program; I've got a few more from around the complex that will gradually get posted...

This is being composed on the day of Neil Armstrong's funeral service, September 13, 2012. Neil Armstrong, the first man to set foot on the moon, was buried at sea today with a full military service. It seems somehow proper that today is the day Toyota publicized that a stock Tundra pickup will be pulling the space shuttle Endeavor to its final resting place in Los Angeles next month. It is really a day of grieving for the once-mighty United States space program.