Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tamron Lens

Real Name
    Tobias Weber

Tamron Lens

Hello all, I am still looking for a reasonably priced everyday lens and while looking I came across the Tamron 18-270mm F/3,5-6,3 Di II VC PZD, I was wondering if anyone out there has one of these and could tell me how it is and if they would recommend it or why they would not recommend it.
    Thanks

Real Name
    randy

Re: Tamron Lens

That is the first lens that I bought with my DSLR. I think that is a great learning lens until you determine what style you to pursue in photography. It covers many focal lengths fairly well, but requires a fair amount of light. Do not plan on using in low light at 270 mm. What type of photography do you prefer?

Real Name
    Tobias Weber

Yeah I know its not for low light with an f/3.5-6.3, I actually want it mainly for an almost "tourist" lens if I can call it that or a walkabout lens for if I just want to go for a walk somewhere, because I have a 18-55 and a 70-300 and whichever I pick there is always one end of the focal range that I am missing and end up missing some great shots, that's why I want something with a wider focal range. How is the sharpness of the lens, because I also have a 100mm macro lens that has amazing sharpness, my 70-300 is slightly soft at times and I would like to avoid something like that again.

Real Name
    randy

admittedly not the best shot, but this what I got out of it today

Tamron Lens
    f/22, 1/160 sec, 270 mm-definitely not at its best, but neither was I

Tamron Lens
    f/22 1/8 sec, 18mm - a little better

Real Name
    Siggi-short for Siegfried

I have one as a walk about on Nikon,attractive price and versatile as well as extremely light and compact but I would rather use my 18-200 Nikon any day even if I have to crop more.My wife has an awesome Nikon 28-300 which is heavy as a walkabout but very sharp.I am thinking of trading my 70-300 in on the new 18-300 Nikon.

Real Name
    Tobias Weber

Thanks, I'm shooting Canon though and I have heard that the nearest Canon equivalent is overpriced and not as good, I have however also been looking at a 17-85 f/4-5.6 IS USM which is apparently a really great lens, has slightly better low light handling but therefore way less zoom. Unfortunately everything Canon related is a lot more expensive in South Africa for some reason, which doesn't help me at all

Real Name

Got my Tamron lens from Gl Agencies,Trevor Beech showed me an image taken on a Canon which at 270 was pin sharp,this changes things as I thought you had Nikon-nice knowing you....................Haha!
    Try getting an opinion from Kameraz (I know their radio commercials are daft) but the knowledge is there.Off to Marievale now

Real Name

The swan pic at f22 is not a good test,the landscape at 18mm-tripod?

Real Name
    Robin

Firstly I do understand the appeal of an 'All-In-One' lens but they can be so poor at the extremes (the middle too in some cases) as to be almost unusable making the effective range a fair bit shorter - which kind of ruins the whole point of them.

Have a look here for a test of the lens you're interested in:

http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikko...on182703563pzd

There are some fairly serious distortion problems that are worth considering and the longer end is far from sharp - so why have the length? We get a fair few of these returned within a week or so of purchase by very disappointed (even though they were forewarned) customers who just can't get a good set of images from it.

You might want to think about the Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 USM IS as is gets a reasonable review and the customers I've sold one to have all been very impressed. It shows a good improvement over the older 17-85mm you mentioned while the little bit extra width can come in very handy.

http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/465-canon_1585_3556is

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

Quote Originally Posted by TobyMac View Post
    .... and whichever I pick there is always one end of the focal range that I am missing and end up missing some great shots, that's why I want something with a wider focal range.
    Do you have any prime lenses? If so, why not go out for the day with just the one lens. It will focus your mind on what you are taking and trying to achieve. I bet you'll get some great shots. You'll certainly have great fun.
    My point? Use your feet and your imagination. Zooms are very convenient but not necessarily at fault for all our missed opportunities as we become more reliant upon them.
    And yes, before you ask, I've got a few zooms too.

Real Name
    randy

Quote Originally Posted by siggi View Post
    The swan pic at f22 is not a good test,the landscape at 18mm-tripod?
    Swan pic brace on fence, landscape handheld

Real Name
    Tobias Weber

Thanks everyone, very helpful advice, I think in the end I am going to go for the Canon, either the newer EF-S or the older model.

Mike, i do have a prime lens but its a 100mm macro and 100mm means I need to be quite a bit back if I want to shoot people in a scene, but I understand what you mean

Real Name
    Mary

Thanks I have found all your comments useful too as I am going to buy a Nikon D7000 today an upgrade from my D3100 but I can't decide whether to buy just the body and or to buy it with the 18 - 105mm lens. I would like a macro lens too. What do you think , any advice?

Real Name
    randy

Quote Originally Posted by MICC View Post
    Thanks I have found all your comments useful too as I am going to buy a Nikon D7000 today an upgrade from my D3100 but I can't decide whether to buy just the body and or to buy it with the 18 - 105mm lens. I would like a macro lens too. What do you think , any advice?
    It depends on your style of photography; whereas I primarily shoot flowers and insects, I really appreciate my macro, but it has limitations if I want to shoot landscapes.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by rtbaum View Post
    Swan pic brace on fence, landscape handheld
    At the risk of diverting the thread, are the swans a 100% crop from a small bit of a much larger picture Randy?

I am puzzled why you shot at f/22 as that did 'bad things' to the shutter speed at that focal length.
    It probably doesn't help sharpness either, because of diffraction at f/22.
    Even on the landscape, at 18mm, everything in shot will be within the DoF of say f11 or f/16 if you focus at the hyperfocal distance.

Ah, maybe your post #14 holds the answer

Cheers,

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by MICC View Post
    What are you moving from?
    It sounds like you may have other Nikon lens already?

If starting from scratch, I'd still buy the Nikon 18-200mm, as I did when buying my D5000, after a bad experince along the lines Robin mentions, with a Sigma 18-250mm.

Does "MICC" have a first name we might use?
    We're so friendly here we prefer that and you can even Edit your Profile and add it in the Real Name field and, while you're there, adding a Location may help us advise prices in your currency or suggest stores near you.

Welcome to the CiC forums from ...

Real Name
    Mary

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    What are you moving from?
    It sounds like you may have other Nikon lens already?

If starting from scratch, I'd still buy the Nikon 18-200mm, as I did when buying my D5000, after a bad experince along the lines Robin mentions, with a Sigma 18-250mm.

Does "MICC" have a first name we might use?
    We're so friendly here we prefer that and you can even Edit your Profile and add it in the Real Name field and, while you're there, adding a Location may help us advise prices in your currency or suggest stores near you.

Welcome to the CiC forums from ...
    Ok, Ok, I'm new here. I have the 2 lenses that I got when I bought my D3100 Nikon 18- 55mm and Tamron 70- 300mm so I'm thinking the one you suggest would be useful as it would fall in the middle and maybe I could stop carrying 2 lenses round all the time. I borrowed a macro lens nikon 105mm 2.8 and I loved it but its a bit expensive for me right now. I have only had a DSLR about 2 years but i have done a couple of courses and I am still experimenting so I pretty much love it all.

Real Name
    Pete

I presume it's the non VC tamron?

if it was me I'd prioritise lenses over a new body. What do you think the d7000 is going to give you over the d3100? I'm not saying it's not better (it undoutedly is) but is it a better buy than a lens?!

the Nikon 105 is cheaper than a D7000 so you can afford it.

Real Name
    Mary

But thats the big question isn't it?
    New body or new lens. Everyone you ask gives a different response. I just thought I'd step up with a new and improved body first and then start with special lenses. From all the research I've done the D7000 seems the right way to go.
    Now you're making me think again and I don't know which way to go.

Real Name
    Mike Goodwin

Hi, I've used the Tamron 18x270 VC on both my Canon 400D XTI & 7D, I've shot several thousand pictures. The lens is just OK for a "one lens does it all" approach. When a lens tries to do everything, it generally does nothing really good. But as you grown & learn in this hobby you will find that the quality of your lens is directly related to its cost and quality. My next lens will be the Canon 70X 200 F4 IS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast