Thread: Help setting a D7000 for exposure auto bracketting

Real Name
    Allan Short

Help setting a D7000 for exposure auto bracketting

To start I bracket for exposure all the time for the last couple of years, however it is all done manually. There has been a couple of times when this is too hard or impossible to do as when the camera is on the ground or almost on the ground. The reason I am not on the ground with it, is because of the place I am, and my knees, to see me get down or up off the ground you would think I have drunken a 40oz bottle of Whiskey (Canadian). I know in the menu where to set number of shots (max 3 for D7000), where to set how I want the order, it is after here that I continue to get misplaced, (notice I did not say lost as I am I guy, we never get lost only momentary misplaced in that space-time thing). So if someone would like to take a bat (not animal) baseball or cricket will work, and beat it into my brain, I would be most appreciative, so feel free to beat away.

Cheers:

Allan
    Last edited by Polar01; 20th August 2012 at 01:15 PM. Reason: grammer

Real Name
    Christopher

Re: Help setting a D7000 for exposure auto bracketting

Quote Originally Posted by Polar01 View Post
    I know in the menu where to set number of shots (max 3 for D7000), where to set how I want the order, it is after here that I continue to get misplaced
    Have you got as far as selecting 0F, 3F, -2F or +2F on the top control panel?

If YES, then the next step - while continuing to hold down the BKT button - is to turn the front sub-command dial to select the exposure increment of the bracketing shots which will again appear in the top window.

The value of the increments offered up by the window will depend on what you've previously entered into "Custom setting b2" where you selected either 1/3rd stop or 1/2 a stop as your preferred exposure increment.

If you chose 1/3rd of a stop, the camera will offer the following bracketing exposure values, namely 0.3, 0.7, 1.0, 1.3, 1.7, or good old 2.0

If you chose a half a stop, then your increment options appearing in the top window will be 0.5, 1.0, 1.5, or 2.0 again.

Only now do your release the BKT button!

You are now set up for bracketing, but this is by no means the end of the palaver.

If you have your camera set on S - single exposures - then you will have to press the shutter release button for each of the bracketing shots. The shot number you are at will be displayed in the right of the top window above the BKT symbol

If you are in Continuous shooting Mode - CL or Ch - you just hold down the shutter and the camera will follow the bracketing sequence as long as you keep it pressed.

If you set the camera for bracketing, and then don't use all the bracketing shots in a sequence, the camera will cook your next picture at whatever exposure values would have completed the sequence - an annoyance you have to remember.

Finally there is 'Bracketing Burst' which involves assigning the Fn button or the Preview button as Burst Bracket control by means of Custom setting f3 and f4. Once you have made this choice, then the camera will shoot off your bracketing burst whenever you press Fn or Preview and press the shutter release at the same time.

Fn is in a rotten position and I don't find it very easy to locate when I have the camera to my eye, but you may be a better juggler.
    Last edited by Brocken; 20th August 2012 at 02:14 PM. Reason: grammar

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I'm not sure what you're missing, Allan, though I am very certain no bat is needed. You need to do the following and I wonder if you have forgotten about Steps 1 & 3 shown below.

1) Configure setting e5. (Don't forget to press OK after making the desired setting.)
    2) Select the number of shots by pressing the BKT button and rotating the command dial. (You seem to have done that.)
    3) Select the bracketing increment by pressing the BKT button and rotating the sub-command dial.
    4) Release the shutter the number of times that equals the number of bracketed shots that you selected in Step 2.

For that information and other helpful details, refer to pages 109 to 111 of your D7000 manual.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Another tip, Allan: Once you get your bracketing configured as you like it, you can save those settings as U1 or U2. Once you do that you don't have to remember how to configure your settings each time you want to automatically bracket your exposures. You also don't have to remember how to disable bracketing; you only need to stop using the U1 or U2 that you saved the settings to. For an explanation of using U1 and U2, refer to pages 76 and 77 of your D7000 manual.

Real Name
    Allan Short

Mike and Christopher thanks very much, I did not have it set to AE somehow I was thinking that was also having something to do with the flash. Once I set it to the correct setting I had no problem, Mike took your advise and saved setting to U2 as it is the closest to what I usually shot "A". Again thanks very much.

Cheers:

Allan