Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Pano Help

Real Name
    Jason

Pano Help

Hi,

This is a two photo pano of Lake George, NSW. I am after some feedback and thoughts on whether or not it works. I don't mind it but there a doubts in my mind about whether it contains enough details and the distance to the far shore, is that to far. Any thoughts and ideas are appreciated.

Cheers

J

Pano Help

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Re: Pano Help

Hi Jason, as a pano it has been put together very well but it has an issue that plagues many images with a flat horizon and that is that a horizon across the middle of the image usually doesn't work very well. The solution is usually to decide whether the scene above or below the horizon is more interesting and then position the horizon up or down to display more of the interesting objects. In this case it appears to me that the foreground is more interesting than the sky but not dramatically more so.

On the other hand, the stark vastness of the meadow has an intriguing feeling of its own so it might just work.

Second, what do you consider to be the subject? You would want to do what you can to help the subject to grab the viewer's attention. Usually this can be done with subtle differences in colour, brightness, contrast, or sharpness.

Real Name
    Dave

I agree that a central horizon doesn't work too well, but moving it up may have included elements you did not want in the foreground, while placing the horizon lower in the shot would include more, largely featureless, sky.

I think the difficulty with panoramas is that the brain is able to almost simultaneously appreciate the vastness and the detail; something which is beyond a camera. I have plenty of panoramas that don't come anywhere near what I saw at the time.

Stitching a number of medium telephoto shots in portrait format can sometime get closer to what I thought I saw at the time.

Dave

Real Name
    Jason

Thanks Frank and Dave,

Your feedback is appreciated, I think I am going to have to learn a bit more about pano photography. This one was done straight from the raw files, I think I may do basic processing first this time, that way I can crop in a bit to see if I can achieve what both of you have said about the central horizon. Thanks again.

Cheers

J