Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Prairie Thistle

Real Name
    Cindy

Prairie Thistle

I was out riding my Ducati and found this huge thistle in the ditch. The sunlight seemed to catch it just right. I would love any C&C on the photo. I am looking to improve my creative eye. The advice I have received from CIC members is so helpful. Thank you for looking.
    Prairie Thistle

Real Name
    Greg

Re: Prairie Thistle

Hi Cindy
    A: Very jealous that you have a Ducati, (what model)
    B: Great photo. The simplest things can make a great image.
    Nice work. Greg

Real Name
    Cindy

Thank you, Greg. It's a Monster 696. It's not the biggest but big enough for me. One of the few I can sit on and have both feet on the ground. And certainly goes fast enough!! As far the photo, I actually laid on my back in a ditch and took it upside down to get the right lighting. I was hoping I wouldn't get any unusual looks!! Thanks for your comment. Cindy

Real Name
    Brian

I like it. Just the right amount of sun. Could it be improved with a touch of sharpening? Don't spend too much time in ditches. People will start talking!!

Real Name
    John

Hi Cindy,
    it was well worth all the effort, I think it's great and would not change anything.
    Well done.

I like the rays of the sun and the glow it give the seed pod. Very nice! This was a case where you should have had a photographer taking a picture of the photographer.

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Very nice work

Real Name
    Cindy

Thanks everyone for all the great comments. I really appreciate the feedback. One of those rare moments when I stumbled on a photograph I will be proud to have taken.

Real Name
    Louise

Hi Cindy, where in Saskatchewan do you live? I know some strech of road where you could lay down for days without seeing a soul!

Your picture is interesting. To my recall, the ground is pretty flat in the prairies, a little twick of the horizon would do.
    As a amateur of macrophotography, I can tell you that as soon as you want to shoot a flower, a breeze will make everything moove. It could explain why the lack of focus. May I suggest sitting in the ditch right side up?

Real Name
    Cindy

I live in Melville, smallest city in Saskatchewan. It's in the southeast corner. You're right about it being very flat but you can occasionally find a little hump. Thanks for the advice. I tried the photo right side up but the sun was too low for what I was trying to get. And when I'm on the motorcycle, I have limited space in my back pack for lenses. So I didn't have my macro lens with me. And it was breezy that day. I don't think that thistle would have lasted long but I understand there are more around and I will have the opportunity to go out in the truck and carry all my gear. Thank you for pointing out the horizon. I will straighten that up. Thanks again for the advice. Cindy

Real Name
    Louise

Melville hey? Mext time you could send a view of the prairies, that would be cool, like a postcard!