Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Cheetah

Real Name
    Bill S

Cheetah

Took this during a recent trip to the Toronto Zoo. I like the simple composition, but is the cheetah a bit too far to the edge? Any other recommendations?

Cheetah

- Bill
    Last edited by ktuli; 3rd May 2012 at 02:14 AM.

Real Name
    Clive

Re: Cheetah

Hi Bill, you have a captured a good expression on the face and IMO it needs a bit more room at the bottom but is this due to the fact it's lying in a shallow depression? but the front legs appear to carry on out of frame. With that plain background this to me is crying out for a B&W conversion.

Real Name
    Bill S

Clive,

Actually, the front legs weren't visible at all. As you said - she was lying in a shallow depression, plus the grass was pretty high.

I knew the framing on the one above would be a bit outside the norm, but I still like it. And of all the facial expressions I got out of her, I liked that one the best...

A more 'standard' composition (but a sleepier expression):
    Cheetah

A more 'hunting' stance (but no eye contact):
    Cheetah

The B&W idea sounds like a good one... I'll see if I can find some time tonight to work that up and share.

Thanks for the input!

- Bill
    Last edited by ktuli; 3rd May 2012 at 02:15 AM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by ktuli View Post
    A more 'hunting' stance (but no eye contact):
    Cheetah

The B&W idea sounds like a good one...
    I would agree totally with the 'try B & W' suggestion and think this is the perfect candidate. But, as you're doing it, keep thinking 'vignette' to focus attention down onto the animal. Doesn't have to be obvious. Subtle always works better.

Real Name
    Bill S

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I would agree totally with the 'try B & W' suggestion and think this is the perfect candidate. But, as you're doing it, keep thinking 'vignette' to focus attention down onto the animal. Doesn't have to be obvious. Subtle always works better.
    Actually, what I should probably do is turn off the lens correction in ACR. These shots were taken with my Sigma 150-500, and that lens has a natural (yet rather subtle) vignette to it. I'll see if that helps at all.

Thanks for the suggestion!

- Bill

Real Name
    Bill S

As suggested, here are some B&W conversions and (upon Donald's suggestion) with the original lens vignetting returned to the image (as well as a miniscule amount of barrel distortion - I guess I could have left that correction turned on and only turned off the vignetting, but I'm running on 5 hours of sleep, so please forgive me).

Cheetah

Cheetah

Please provide your additional input on these new versions.

Additionally, their corresponding color versions above have regained their vignetting as well.

Thanks for viewing.

- Bill

Real Name
    2 penny for the guess..

Hi Bill,

I hope you don't mind, but I have tried a small edit on the first picture.
    (Apologise for this lazy edit)

Cheetah

I did a bit of crop ( There is too much empty space on top, IMO), darken the grass and light a bit this kitten.

Anyway, I don't think the "standard b&w" is working, I think b&w will need more procesing, to make the ceetah to pop more.

Leo

Real Name
    Clive

Hi Bill, I agree with Leo that the Cheetah needs to "pop" a bit more in the B&W and his suggestion will work by lightening the "kitty" and darken the grass.