Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Workshop in Sydney about lighting?

Real Name
    Alex

Workshop in Sydney about lighting?

Hi there, does anyone know a good course or workshop in Sydney about lighting. Thanks !!

Real Name
    Have a guess :)
    I could be wrong, but I think Joe McNally is heading that way shortly.

You might like to do a little "Googling"

Real Name
    Alex

Re: workshop in Sydney about lighting?

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    I could be wrong, but I think Joe McNally is heading that way shortly.

You might like to do a little "Googling"

Thank you!!. yep, he is but the workshop I am interested about is sold out

Real Name
    Andrew

If you are prepared to spend that amount of cash on a course with Joe just going over what is available in his books, I'd like to suggest another route for the same money that may yield better results for you. Find a mentor. Take a look at what professional photographers you have available in your area that are producing results you would like to achieve. Visit them and talk to them about what you are trying to accomplish. Ask if they are interested in mentoring you through a monthly meeting evaluating your work and offering suggestions. Also discuss their fees and if you are willing to commit to a long (ish) term like a year you may find someone willing to support you at a reasonable cost. If you succeed in finding someone you will get what you want on a more personal level specific to your needs.

It's worth a try.
    Last edited by Andrew1; 24th April 2012 at 01:26 AM.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Quote Originally Posted by Alpriro View Post
    Hi there, does anyone know a good course or workshop in Sydney about lighting. Thanks !!
    Lighting What? For what specific Purposes? What level are you at? What specifically do you want?

WW

Real Name

I think you'd be far far far far far better off just popping along to www.kelbytraining.com and signing up. That way you can have full access to all of Joe's online workshops - and those of many other photography professionals.

Best value training in existance, in my opinion.

Real Name
    Graham

Hi,

The Australian Centre of Photography at Paddington runs an excellent course on lighting. Geoff McGeachin who runs the course is a really good teacher. (Not a bad novelist either)

It is really hands on and deals with all sorts of lighting from studio lights through on camera flashes and strobist technique. It goes for 10 weeks 3 hours each, I can't speak highly enough of it. You photograph on the street in a studio with professional models and found objects, the final week is a 10 minute challenge you have 10 minutes and 1 light to make your photo. It costs about the same as some workshops, but you don't sit listening to a guru, you actually light and photograph a wide range of subjects. I will post a couple of photos I took when I did the course if you think it would help.

If you want a different experience then the HeadOn Photo Festival runs 2 workshops by Peter Solness called Night Magic in May. I did it last year and it was just really great fun. Have a look at Peter's website and see if that is what you want because it is all done with torch light. Have a look anyway because it is interesting.
    Hope this helps.
    Graham Cowan.

Real Name
    Andrew

You can't beat actually doing something rather than just reading about it. Graham's suggestion of getting someone who knows how to teach is a better option than my earlier one. You still get an experienced mentor but you're not taking a gamble on whether or not they can advance you along your path. It sounds like a good session to consider.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew1 View Post
    You can't beat actually doing something rather than just reading about it.
    I agree, although I think WATCHING someone else doing it on a DVD / Online video and then trying it for ones self is the next best thing.

Real Name
    Graham

I agree, although I think WATCHING someone else doing it on a DVD / Online video and then trying it for ones self is the next best thing.
    It all comes down to personal circumstances. Sydney is a big city and getting to Paddington once a week after work for 10 weeks is quite a commitment especially if you live in the outer suburbs.

Graham

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by gcowan View Post
    It all comes down to personal circumstances. Sydney is a big city and getting to Paddington once a week after work for 10 weeks is quite a commitment especially if you live in the outer suburbs.

Graham
    Yep - sure is.

Real Name
    Alex

Thanks guys for all your great comments and take time to write them, for sure I have got a lot already from them.

Thanks Andrew1!! , I actually purchased two days ago through Amazon two of his books: “Life: Guide to Digital Photography: Everything You Need to Shoot Like the Pros” and “Sketching Light: An Illustrated Tour of the Possibilities of Flash” I will see what I can get from them… in regards to the mentor, I certainly contacted a really good person and photographer who was or actually is willing to share his knowledge with me but it is still too casual… I am looking for more formal learning; I could be wrong whether it is the way to learn… I am very very beginner, it mean I am at the stage where I have to learn everything because I know nothing. So, it seems the first thing I have to learn in photography is actually “how to learn photography”.

Thanks Colin Souther!!!, the link is great, and it seems the subscription fee is reasonable, that will do!!! I bought as well two of the Kelby’s book.

Thasnk Graham Cowan!! I definitely will check “The Australian Centre of Photography at Paddington, it sounds great..

Real Name

Everything You Need to Shoot Like the Pros”
    On a side note, if I had a dollar for every time I've seen a product advertised with that by line ...

Real Name
    Graham

Alex,

Also look into TAFE. They have beginners courses that take you through the basics. They even do colour film printing. The courses are nationally accredited and relatively cheap.

If you like it you can continue on and do their formal certificates and diplomas which is what most professionals do in NSW.

Graham

Real Name
    Alex

On a side note, if I had a dollar for every time I've seen a product advertised with that by line ...
    Do you mean I shouldn’t name products when I post a thread?... apologies I am new with forums as well…

Thanks Graham!! Thank you so much I will check on them…. I need to free some time from my kids and definitely I will start to study!!

Real Name

Do you mean I shouldn’t name products when I post a thread?... apologies I am new with forums as well…
    Hi Alex,

No - not at all.

Was just commenting on the fact that the phrase "learn to shoot like a pro" has been done to death by the industry. It's a very compelling phrase (who DOESN'T want to shoot like a pro), but in my opinion, it's just so damn misleading (read "dishonest" even).

Kinda like ... "see great photo taken by pro" - "see book called 'learn to shoot like a pro'" - buy book thinking that the person will now be able to make photos like that. And for the most part it's just a big lie.

What folks see is a nice image shot by a pro - what they DON'T see is the pro's 2 assistants setting up 4 speedlites on a boom arm - and a 8 x 4 foot diffuser on a C stand - and a couple of 2400 watt/second studio heads outside - with gels - firing through the windows to illuminate the background with a warm "sunrise light". Not to mention a professional model - prepared by professional makeup artists and stylists. The average photographer doesn't have a hope in heck of producing those kinds of shots unless he buys $100,000 worth of gear - and even then, there's just no substitute for experience.

Real Name

Hi Alex,

No - not at all.

Was just commenting on the fact that the phrase "learn to shoot like a pro" has been done to death by the industry. It's a very compelling phrase (who DOESN'T want to shoot like a pro), but in my opinion, it's just so damn misleading (read "dishonest" even).

Kinda like ... "see great photo taken by pro" - "see book called 'learn to shoot like a pro'" - buy book thinking that the person will now be able to make photos like that. And for the most part it's just a big lie.

What folks see is a nice image shot by a pro - what they DON'T see is the pro's 2 assistants setting up 4 speedlites on a boom arm - and a 8 x 4 foot diffuser on a C stand - and a couple of 2400 watt/second studio heads outside - with gels - firing through the windows to illuminate the background with a warm "sunrise light". Not to mention a professional model - prepared by professional makeup artists and stylists. The average photographer doesn't have a hope in heck of producing those kinds of shots unless he buys $100,000 worth of gear - and even then, there's just no substitute for experience.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

I am looking for more formal learning; I could be wrong whether it is the way to learn… I am very very beginner, it mean I am at the stage where I have to learn everything because I know nothing. So, it seems the first thing I have to learn in photography is actually “how to learn photography”.
    Thank you of answering some of my questions.

So confirming – it is not just Lighting which you wish to learn, but rather a more catholic study of Photography: and you prefer a more prescribed and formal approach?

WW

Real Name
    Alex

Hahaha, thanks Colin, now I understand, actually I am glad someone has told me this (I mean, you) just before starting with the books, so I won’t kill myself trying to get a photo like those and or even worse I won’t give up to photography because my results are not even close to this unreal concept. Thank you!!..

As I write in my introduction to the forum, “I am a believer that people should do what they are passionate about and photography is one of mine. I am here willing to learn as much as I can from all of you”. This is the reason why I want to prepare myself to achieve what I like, I believe never is too late to start something we know will be so rewarding. Experience, for sure is a key factor in this long learning, this is one of the things I have absolutely clear.. Thanks again.

Hi William, you are right, it is not just lighting. I asked for lighting courses because I thought I should start from them, but once again I could be wrong… regarding the approach, the formal way is the way I have done all my engineering career; it is the way I was taught, probably I am wrong agaiiiin…. Probably I should start thinking outside the box

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

probably I am wrong agaiiiin…. Probably I should start thinking outside the box
    Not necessarily.

it is not just lighting. I asked for lighting courses because I thought I should start from them, but once again I could be wrong… regarding the approach, the formal way is the way I have done all my engineering career; it is the way I was taught,
    Was the method of learning Engineering successful and enjoyable for you?

Most people who are attracted to engineering generally prefer a two pronged approach to learning: the structure but also the hands-on to reinforce what they learned. Also an important element is to understand the theory, for some the minutia of theory is interesting, but usually for all engineering type brains the basic theory is important.

The TAFE (community) courses would be a valuable start, but you will probably find that they will vary in capacity and of the theory depending upon the instructor.

Perhaps the most valuable step would be to become an active member in a camera/photography club – they too vary in capacity, so a bit of digging and attending a few meetings would be what I suggest – there will be a wealth of knowledge amongst a few of the members, if you seek it out.

Importantly: if you are a typical engineering type brain, having someone beside you and doing hands on and seeing a result will appeal the most.

WW

WW