Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: The Wharf

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

The Wharf

I was inspired to try a sepia shot buy Dave Ellis "St Kilda Pier" last week and found this scene at the Wharf. The idea is to try and make the picture look a lot older than it is, at least 20 years old. Please C&C. I'ts my first attempt.The Wharf

Real Name
    Barry

Re: The Wharf

Hello Wayne, I am a complete novice and whilst I enjoyed the picture my memory of my parents pictures, that really were sepia, is that they were much less golden and no where near as sharp! I hope this is constructive and not negative.

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

Quote Originally Posted by barjohn View Post
    Hello Wayne, I am a complete novice and whilst I enjoyed the picture my memory of my parents pictures, that really were sepia, is that they were much less golden and no where near as sharp! I hope this is constructive and not negative.
    Hi Barry, very helpful thanks. I have gone a bit darker then I could have so wlll have another look at it. Cheers.

Real Name
    Johnny

Quote Originally Posted by barjohn View Post
    I have a good collection of postcards ranging in time frames from the late 1920's to the mid 60's and even with color fade, many of them are sharp as a tack. A lot of what causes the OOF look to old magazine, poster or postcard images depended greatly upon the dot screen used in the photogravure process and the quality of the paper used.

Cameras in the 30's to mid 80's were quite good, and remarkably, still are. I'd pit many of the old Leicas against pretty much anything out on the market today.

I do agree to the image having too much a yellow color cast and would tend more toward a good speia.

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

Thanks Johnny, interesting.

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

The Wharf

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Wayne,

Some thoughts ...

- Add grain

- Fade it a little

- Tone the exposure down a little (and crush the blacks) (they weren't as precise as us in the good old days!)

The Wharf

Real Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Hi Wayne,

Some thoughts ...

- Add grain

- Fade it a little

- Tone the exposure down a little (and crush the blacks) (they weren't as precise as us in the good old days!)

The Wharf
    Colin, I think I know what you mean by 'crush the blacks'. Do you mean - increase the level of blacks so that you lose detail in the shadows?

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by UKDivemaster View Post
    Colin, I think I know what you mean by 'crush the blacks'. Do you mean - increase the level of blacks so that you lose detail in the shadows?
    Hi Mark,

Sorta - decrease the levels of the blacks by raising the black clipping point (or increasing the blacks slider).

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Hi Mark,

Sorta - decrease the levels of the blacks by raising the black clipping point (or increasing the blacks slider).
    Thanks Colin, I like your version. I will have a play myself, but limited at the moment because my Apple Aperture is down so have to use I Photo. Good advice thanks.