Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Your help appreciated

Real Name
    randy

Your help appreciated

I am in a quandary here. I have been experimenting in my kitchen with cherry blossoms. I used backgrounds of various types, very high tech (styrofoam block, flat side of wall sconce, wife's purse); although I kinda like each in it's own fashion, I recognise a definite problem with color cast issues. Please feel free to comment
    Your help appreciated
    Your help appreciated
    Your help appreciated

Real Name
    Darren

Re: Your help appreciated

If your camera is set to auto white balance, then it is simply doing its job. Because the background and lighting changes with each scene, the camera compensates. All you need to really do is set a custom WB using whatever software of your choice.

Real Name
    Allan Short

Randy: what are you using for a light source? Like the basic images, were these taken from RAW or from camera Jpegs. This info would help to answer your questions.

Cheers:

Allan

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

The first image (at least) was shot using an (incorrect) Custom WB, I would set, and leave it, on Auto if I were you Randy.

Another thing to avoid potential issues is to change the camera's colour space to sRGB, you (probably) currently have it set to Adobe RGB.

Cheers,

Real Name
    randy

Lighting was combo of ambient window lighting and flourescent, I'm sure that does not help my situation. Shot in raw, all were processed in lightroom to a point I found pleasing. Call it artistic license or pig headed-ness

Real Name
    Scott

Do you have a white/grey card? You might try doing a custom WB on the card. But, yes, using Lightroom would have been my other suggestion. Gotta love that program.
    The 2nd one actually looks OK to me, though.

Real Name
    randy

Are these now the correct white balance
    Your help appreciated
    Your help appreciated
    Your help appreciated
    Last edited by rtbaum; 23rd April 2012 at 12:36 AM.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by rtbaum View Post
    Lighting was combo of ambient window lighting and flourescent, I'm sure that does not help my situation. Shot in raw, all were processed in lightroom to a point I found pleasing. Call it artistic license or pig headed-ness
    Hi Randy,

The mixed lighting is part of the colour cast problem you originally identified - which was why I suggested an 'incorrect' WB had been used - I wasn't to know that was what you wanted

The WB of the petals in the final three do look more what I'd call correct, although the Kelvin figure is 2750 (+4) on them, suggesting tungsten balance - not mentioned in your list of light sources.

But it's all relative and there is an element of personal choice,

Real Name
    randy

My primary aim was to evaluate different backgrounds. The weather is warming rapidly and I envision that I will be shooting in more natural light. I generally prefer not to disrupt a plant's environment. I am evaluating using common objects as make shift backgrounds, as native backgrounds are too inconsistent and cluttered. I have pretty much concluded that my camera bag would work as well as any.