Thread: tint problems with TinyPic

Real Name
    2 penny for the guess..

tint problems with TinyPic

Hi,

I saw this in the last pictures that I upload via TinyPic. First is a great tint shift in colour, second, not as obvious, but is, in sharpening.

tint problems with TinyPic

I post this in "People and Pets", I'm posting here as separate thread, for technical issues.

1st: color is more "pink" then it was (ok, is Lotus, but that red is close to Red Ferrari, not to this colour). I'm looking at raw, jpeg export ( from lightroom3), and everything looks fine. After upload.... a very big difference. With blacks, almost the same story.

2nd: It is more soft. Like no sharpening was applied to image.

Any idea from where it might be ? or what I'm doing wrong ?

Thanks for any help,
    Leo

Real Name
    Darren

Re: tint problems with TinyPic

Hi Leo,

I don't think you're doing anything wrong. I believe tinypic resamples (resizes) the images that you upload and especially if it is over their maximum size. I have yet to see one of my images uploaded at 100% using their default setting. So, if your image is being resampled, then that is going to effect the sharpness.

Regarding color shift, what is the color space of the original image? I recommend sRGB if it is something else. Personally, I use Adobe RGB 1998 as a working color space. I'm really bad about exporting to sRGB for viewing on the web. Not every browser or system out there is capable of showing Adobe 1998 let alone the more higher gamuts like Pro Photo.

So, if by chance the pixel dimensions of the photo you upload is well under their maximum size, then I'd say they're doing some compression on their end... which would be very naughty! LOL That would be news to me.

Real Name
    2 penny for the guess..

Thanks Darren,

I use Adobe RGB 1998. It is not related to browser ( at least, not in my case), because I've open jpeg file with different applications, and made myself a web page for browser test, on my laptop as well. It might be a issue with color space, I will se different exports to see if affect results more or less.

Thanks for help,
    Leo

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

The general rule is (still) "if you're posting to the web then you need to use sRGB". Using Adobe RGB will unsaturate the image slightly, and make it duller when viewed on a non-colour-managed browser.

Some don't like sRGB because they feel it limits their colour gamut ... but unfortunately (a) most of the world still use un-colour-managed browsers and (b) those who DO have colour-managed browsers usually don't have a monitor that's physically capable of displaying any colours outside of the sRGB gamut (so all that their colour management is doing is converting the image from Adobe RGB to sRGB anyway) and (c) most of the world aren't using colorimeters to calibrate and profile their monitors.

So to benefit from Adobe RGB (from a monitor perspective - printing is a different story) you really need ...

- An Image in Adobe RGB colourspace

- A monitor capable of reproducing the Adobe RGB gamut

- A calibrated and profiled monitor so ensure colours and levels are correct.

And unfortunately, that's about 0.01% of the population at present.

So just post images in sRGB and all will be well

Real Name
    2 penny for the guess..

Thanks Colin,

Duh, stupid me, with RTFM issue....

Leo