Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Noise reduction

Real Name
    Stephen Campton-Jones

Noise reduction

I'm looking for some software to reduce noise.
    This was taken a day after first quarter moon with a Nikon D80 20mm @ f3.5, 25 sec, ISO 1600.
    I have used a dark frame to remove hot pixels and blended it with soft light. I thought this would also remove noise, but alas still plenty of noise
    Any help would be appreciated
    I like landscapes with stars. This was an experiment to see what I could achieve.
    Stephen
    Noise reduction

Real Name
    Paul

Re: Noise reduction

Hi Stephen, I very rarely use noise reduction so I can't really recomend a program. I did however use the search button {upper right of page} and found this for you, maybe it will help. Noise Reduction

i use Topaz DeNoise
    images on the right is run tru Topaz ..left is untuched.. iso range from 400 to 3200
    Noise reduction
    Noise reduction
    Noise reduction

Real Name
    Kevin

Stephen,

I sometimes use Dfin2 noise reduction software, sometimes with great results and sometimes with more image softening than I would like. I use it case by case- it just takes a minute to see if the outcome is favorable or not. I also have some success with specifically reducing saturation in the blue channel- blue contains a huge amount of noise compared to other channels.

Kevin

Real Name
    Pat

Hi Stephen,
    I'v heard that Neat Image is the best noise reduction software.
    Pat

Real Name
    Darren

I'm big into noise reduction. I have tested a lot of them. I have found two applications that work the best. The first, which I highly recommend, is Imagenomics Noiseware. The second application is actually Lightroom. Yes, even Lightroom has a very good noise removal algorithm. (Lightroom 3.5+) I would put it right up there with Noiseware. I have tried Topaz, Neat Image, and others and they just don't stand up to LR or Noiseware. Don't take my word for it. PLEASE download a trial version and see with your own eyes. You will be amazed.

Real Name
    Philip

There is a free version of NoiseWare here - http://noiseware-community-edition.en.softonic.com/

This is your little Jpeg after going through its default settings -

Noise reduction

Philip

Deep in the heart of Texas and Fort Wayne Indiana
    Real Name
    Kristianna-Marie - I listen to Kris too.....

Quote Originally Posted by kdoc856 View Post
    Stephen,

I also have some success with specifically reducing saturation in the blue channel- blue contains a huge amount of noise compared to other channels.

Kevin
    I always try NR in the blue channel first - before I run a picture through a noise reduction program (I have Topaz). 80% of the time, the blue channel NR takes care of the problem.

Real Name
    Chriss Goyenechea

Quote Originally Posted by stephencamptonjones View Post
    I'm looking for some software to reduce noise.
    This was taken a day after first quarter moon with a Nikon D80 20mm @ f3.5, 25 sec, ISO 1600.
    I have used a dark frame to remove hot pixels and blended it with soft light. I thought this would also remove noise, but alas still plenty of noise
    Any help would be appreciated
    I like landscapes with stars. This was an experiment to see what I could achieve.
    Stephen
    Noise reduction
    What software you use for your post process?
    Here's a recent shot @ ISO 3200 and used Lightroom3's NR:
    Noise reduction
    I think the image doesn't really justify anything but I'll try to get you a 100% crop of this one.

Real Name
    Arlen

I use Noiseware or Topaz DeNoise for the really difficult images (high ISO, dark areas, underexposed), and I would give a slight edge to DeNoise, if you're willing to spend some time with an image. But the noise removal in Lightroom has gotten so good that I rarely have to use the first two anymore. With any of them, the trick is putting in the effort to learn how to use them, so that you get the right balance between noise removal and sharpness. Read some tutorials, watch some videos, and then dig in and practice on some problem images. Shoot some test images at various ISO values, find the settings that work best for each one, and then make presets for them. The presets will be good starting points for future images.

Real Name
    Alexander Rose

Quote Originally Posted by Crovean View Post
    What software you use for your post process?
    Here's a recent shot @ ISO 3200 and used Lightroom3's NR:
    Noise reduction
    I think the image doesn't really justify anything but I'll try to get you a 100% crop of this one.
    Dammit! That picture is great!!!

Real Name
    Chriss Goyenechea

Thanks Alex.

Real Name
    Stephen Campton-Jones

Thank you for your replies.
    There is so many to choose from.

Stephen

Real Name
    Paul

NiK Software has a free 15-trail for their Dfine2 software. I get good results and like the user interface. LR4 is good but I can save lots of time by letting Dfine analyze the image noise automatically. You can apply it globally or only in certain places. With my style of shooting, I usually don't get lots of noise (unless I screw up).

Paul Searls