Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: process in DXO

Real Name
    Roeland Selleslachs

process in DXO

Hello,

I recently started using DXO optics pro 7 for turning my RAW files into TIFF files for printing. In the process module I must fill in the resizing values. At this point however, I do not want to choose printing resolution (DPI) and size, I just want to save a TIFF file for future printing. Any help would be welcome.

Thx!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: process in DXO

Hello there.

I don't think you posted a message in the 'Introduce yourself here... ' thread (which is fine, it's not obligatory), so let me extend a warm welcome to you here.

So that you don't continue to get people asking you what your proper name is, because most us use that on here, you can go to Edit Profile and enter your proper name under 'Real Name'. Then it will appear underneath your Username in all your posts. You can also enter your location so that it does the same, just as in my details alongside this message. Then we all know where everyone is in the world.

As fro DxO - I updated from 6 to 7 came along and got it working fine. But then when 7.1.2 came along I started getting (and am still having) major problems. It just won't open. So, I'm back to v6 whilst DxO Support tries to help me fix it.

Anyway, enough of my moaning.

I wasn't sure what you were meaning precisely. When you go to 'Process' you have obviously chosen to save as a TIFF in the Output Settings. But have you checked 'Allow image resampling'? If so and you don't want to define the numbers at this stage, then uncheck that box.

Or am I misunderstanding your question?

Real Name
    Roeland Selleslachs

Hi Donald,

Thx for reminding about my profile, there I fixed it.
    Before I get on let me please mind you that I only recently picked up processing images again and that things got out of my memory a little bit.
    I indeed chose to save a TIFF file out of the RAW data. In my recently purchased version of DXO, I am given the option of checking/unchecking 'Enable resizing'. Following your advise, I unchecked it and ended up with a TIFF file about three times the size of my RAW file, I suspect RGB-times my RAW file size (demozaicing). Everything seems to be normal but my temporary lack of knowledge makes me worry about the DPI number I had to fill in. As I understand, this is a printer setting, I'd rather like to see the amount of pixels resembling the resolution of my RAW file.

Again, I'd like to highlight the fact that some technical aspects are not yet completely clear to me. The only output I want from DXO, is a workable format from the RAW that can be sent to a lab or printer, nothing else, no interpolation, no compression, no resizing.

Please correct me if I got it totally wrong

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Roeland

In case you have not seen it, the following is an extract from the DxO Manual (this is for version 6.5 but the same applies to Version 7 editions). It shows, I believe, that you are correct in your thinking.

"Changing the size of an image is the process known as "resampling", which needs a recalculation of the pixels that make up the image. In all cases, resampling must be performed at the latest possible stage, since it destroys a certain amount of information in your image. Therefore, if subsequent post-processing has to be done, we advise you to keep the initial dimensions.
    If you check this option, you will have to choose 4 parameters:

● The largest dimension of the output image (whether height or width), in pixels, centimeters or inches. This single dimension is enough for the software to calculate from, as it maintains the aspect ratio (the proportions) of the image;

● The resolution, generally expressed in dots-per-inch (dpi): 72 dpi for screen display, 254 dpi for a photographic printer (Kodak standard) or 300 dpi for publishing. If you are not changing the original size, we advise you not to alter the resolution either.

● The mathematical method to be used for interpolation. Several options are available for interpolating (calculating mean values) for missing pixels: ―Auto‖ is a good choice, but many photographers are loyal supporters of bicubic interpolation, for optimum precision.

● The ICC profile can be the original profile, or a choice between sRGB, AdobeRGB or a custom profile. In practice, the sRGB profile is well-suited for web publishing and for printing on photographic or ink-jet printers. The AdobeRGB profile will suit images that need retouching, e.g. for publication, but in this case TIFF or DNG outputs are preferable to JPEG. A custom profile is a good choice for a printer for which you have an ICC profile stored."