Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: A day at the zoo...

Real Name
    Darren

A day at the zoo...

I have not been to a zoo in well over 20 years. After my weekend jaunt to the Pike Place Market in downtown Seattle, I decided (on a whim) to go and see the Woodland Park Zoo. It turned out to be one hell of an awesome spur of the moment choice! I shot no less than 478 photos - 7 GB. If you're into shooting wildlife (with a camera), and you're having trouble finding a good subject, then you have to look no further than your local zoo. As for me, I was so blown away by all the "photo ops" that I will be back there next weekend to by an annual membership. Here are just a few of the photos I shot over the weekend. I gotta get back there for good shots of the Sumatran Tiger, Snow Leopard, Jaguar, and throngs of exotic birds from the Amazon Rainforest. (could not take one single photo of these birds, as my cold 300mm lens instantly condensed in 100% humidity and what seemed like 100 degree heat)

Blue Heron
    A day at the zoo...

Gray Wolf
    A day at the zoo...

Steller's Sea Eagle
    A day at the zoo...

Lion
    A day at the zoo...

Lion and Girlfriend (the planets aligned; they posed for me!)
    A day at the zoo...

Barred Owl
    A day at the zoo...

Wood Duck
    A day at the zoo...

Real Name
    Paul

Re: A day at the zoo...

I had not been myself in many years Darren. Until a couple months back. Great place for some good practice. This time of year is still fairly good, but summer I hear is craxy with people. I went looking for the butterfly house but it has been moved to the Science Center. For a Zoo...I think they do a fairly good job with giving the animals a more natural setting than many.

Real Name
    Bobo

Nice shots. I have not been to one in like 10-12 years and was not quite impressed with what the Toronto Zoo had done. That was back then maybe things have changed. But we are expecting some pandas this year so maybe time to go once they are settled in.

Real Name
    Jack R Mann

Nice shots Darrin it's about a 250 mile drive for me to get to either portland or seattle.
    someday i'll get there.