Thread: Please vote.

Real Name
    ANU

Please vote.

which one is the best according to u....
    If you go to the store to buy a camera for yourself...which one will you choose from the below and why-
    1.Canon EOS 550D Kit (EF S18-55IS)
    2.Canon EOS 1100D Kit (EF S18-55 IS II)
    3.Nikon D5100 (with AF-S 18-55mm VR Kit Lens)
    4.Nikon D3100 (with AF-S 18-55mm VR Kit Lens)

Please do vote..
    Your response will be appreciated..
    Thank you in advance.

Note:Please select anyone.

Re: Please vote.

Just a thought, Anu, but how much money would we have to spend, and is 'none of the above' another option?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Anu

Your question presupposes that people will know each of the combinations you present and be able to provide an informed opinion that compares one against the other. I think you will find that nobody can do that.

Even if someone has one of the combinations that you list and they find it wonderful, they are not you and you are not them.

What is it you want? What are the features of each camera body that appeals to you? What are the features that you do not think you will need?

Real Name
    ANU

finally i made up my mind to buy any one of these 4 camera's as a beginner.
    i like all the 4 equally..buy have a soft corner for Nikon D5100...
    if u compare canon 1100 and nikon d3100 are near by same in features...
    and comiing to canon 550d and nikon d5100 also shares similar features and specifications...

i am bit confused..which one shud i go for...
    i went to the store the other day and discovered that im falling in love with each one the model....each piece is beautiful and unique in its own way....

i spent hours and hours and finally elected these 4...because they comes in my budget and as a beginner i selected these 4....

my humble request is..as many of the members in CIC are expertised in photography...and know more about camera's than me..requesting you to help me in selecting one amoung these four...
    Please...help...

Real Name
    Richard

I totally agree with Donald... However a Google search entering one camera vs. another as the search parameters may give you some help.

Here is a video comparing the various capabilities of the 550D/T2i) and 1100D/T3 (search parameters I entered were, "550D vs. 1100D"). I am not really familiar with either camera but, I watched the review and I agree that the 550D would be a better choice as compared with the 1100D. Especially if the cameras were relatively close in price.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvWS9RST2XQ

I think that you can figure out the pecking order amongst Canon DSLR cameras... The cameras with a single digit in their designators (1D, 5D, 7D) are pretty well the leaders; followed in capability by the models with 2 digits in their designators (50D, 60D); followed by models with three digit designators (550D, 600D) and finally with cameras having the four digit designators (1100D, etc); which are at the bottom of the barrel.

This is not to say that a less expensive or less versatile camera might not have the best cost/value ratio for any specific photographer..

Real Name
    ANU

Richard you did not mention anything about nikon

Real Name
    Allan Short

Anu: Both Nikon cameras are very good, the 5100 is a little heavier and has a few more knobs and setting to play with than the 3100. With the new D7000 out and the D800 coming out both your choices are excellent for the new shooter. One thing I would suggest is as the D5100 is more than the D3100 take the difference and see if the seller will swap out the kit lens for the 18-105 as the added reach you will greatly enjoy having. In the future once you have out growen the D3100 then start to look at upgrading. Looking forward to seeing your images of India in the future.

Allan

Real Name
    Eugen

Here is a side-by-side camera comaprison from dpreview:

http://www.dpreview.com/products/com...ts=nikon_d5100

Hopefully that will make it easier for you to compare - you can always have a look at camera reviews from the same site.

Real Name
    Richard

Anusha, you asked about Nikon...

I did a Google search using D5100 vs. D3100 and received lots of hits including:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtRkQBwg2_4

Now I did a search using D5100 vs. T2i
    http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon_EO...vs-Nikon-D5100

And D5100 vs T3i
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPMVUf_GVUc

Each of these searches provides many more hits. I recommend that you do the searches.

I think that you will find that many people are extremely brand loyal and will not say anything positive about the competing brand, whethe that brand be Nikon or Canon.

However, many of us are pretty well locked into our brands because of the lenses and the other brand specific accessories we own. If I wanted to switch from Canon to Nikon (BTW: I don't), it would be a financial burden.

On-the-other hand, there are photographers out there who frequently switch from model to model within a brand and from brand to brand in search of a camera which will change their pictures from ordinary and uninteresting to the exciting and interesting. These folks don't seem to realize that the most impostant piece of equipment for good/great photograhy is not the camera but the eye and brain of the photographer.

Vitually any camera being sold today is capable, if matched with good glass, of producing excellent imagery.
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 2nd March 2012 at 12:29 AM.

Real Name
    ANU

i am more attracted to nikon d5100 is because it has the articular flip monitor...which i guess will help me to capture images more creatively...

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Anusha View Post
    i am more attracted to nikon d5100 is because it has the articular flip monitor...which i guess will help me to capture images more creatively...
    I think you are now taking a more helpful approach to deciding which one suits you best. Making a list of the features you like or find very useful on each camera will help you identify the one that most suits what you want and like.

The fact is that each of these cameras is technically well developed None of them will make good photographs. Only you can do that. But each of these combinations will help you make very good photographs.

So, it does all come down to you what you find suits you best. And after reading the advice that people have given and looking at the comparison references that people have listed, you make your choice. I am very sure that whichever one you choose, you will not be disappointed in the performance you get from it.

Real Name
    Chris

Judging by four students who have the D3100 and three who have the 5100, I wouldn't touch a 3100 given the choice between the two. I think the one contributing factor to the 5100 over the 3100 is the ability to use spot metering which I give high prefernce to when shooting in full manual mode.

Between the two, there isn't a huge difference in bells and whistles, but the students who shoot the 5100 always have better images than those with the 3100...who knows?

Real Name
    ANU

yes donald i completely agree with you....
    thanks for your advices ...those were really helpful and at last i found what i wanted....
    i am decided to take canon 550d or nikon d5100....

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Anusha View Post
    yes donald i completely agree with you....
    thanks for your advices ...those were really helpful and at last i found what i wanted....
    i am decided to take canon 550d or nikon d5100....
    I think that is a very sensible decision. Now it very much becomes a matter of personal preference. Which 'feels' nicer in your hands?

Real Name
    Trev

I have the 550D and would always favour Canon over Nikon, don't ask me why its just my inner Canon snobbery I guess. At the end of the day it will always come down to personal feelings. go and try them all out and see which you feel most comfortable with with regards to things like comfortable handling, where all the buttons, dials are, how heavy it is and the image quality. theres nothing like trying one out to make your mind up

Real Name
    Richard

The Internet is a wonderful tool for choosing a camera. As Donald mentioned; this is the best way to decide between cameras. Listing certain capabilities which may be important to you and then making your decision as per the capabilities of the various cameras in question balanced against their prices.

I don't know about the price differences in India but, the Canon T3i (600D) seems to be the direct competitor to the Nikon D5100, not the T2i (550D), and the T3i has an articulated LCD.

Deciding between the capabilities of cameras is a highly individual decision. What makes a camera good for you doesn't necessarily equate to what would make the camera good for another photographer. Unfortunately, often the beginning DSLR photographer doesn't have the experience to know what capabilities he or she would like in a camera.

As for an articulated LCD monitor, that would be way-way down on my personal list of desired capabilities. In fact, I would prefer my camera not to have one (my 7D doesn't). I simply don't enjoy composing my imagery using a minuscule 3-inch or so LCD held at a distance from my face. I much prefer an eye-level viewfinder because I can see my intended image far better using the eye level viewfinder. If I need to shoot at an awkward angle, I do so with a right angle viewfinder.

Besides the size of the LCD (as opposed to seeing my framed image at 100% through my eye level viewfinder), LCD viewing is far slower acquisition for still shooting and is often difficult to see when I use the camera in brightly lit venues. When I am FORCED to use the LCD (as in shooting video with my 7D) I choose to use a Hoodman Loupe which, in effect, transforms the LCD into an eye level viewfinder.

When I recently purchased TM900 Panasonic TN900 camcorder with which I enjoy shooting video far more than shooting video with my 7D camera because of the eye level viewfinder capability (as well as other bells and whistles). Although I have a hood which protects the LCD from sun flare, it is a LOT EASIER for me to shoot in bright sunlight with the eye level viewfinder than using the LCD.

That said, this is simply Richard's opinion... My wife absolutely hates eye level viewfinders and happily uses the LCD...

Selecting a digital camera is always a series of choices and compromises. IMO, there is no one perfect camera that has every capability I would like; packaged in a size I would be happy with; and at a price I am willing to pay. I simply try to figure out which are the most important attributes for my camera and select a camera which I can afford and which has the majority of these attributes and which has the fewest characteristics that I dislike.

One aspect of a camera which is seldom mentioned or is mentioned only indiectly is using a camera THAT IS FUN FOR YOU TO SHOOT! After all, for most non-professional photographers, enjoyment of photography is the main aim....
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 2nd March 2012 at 04:25 PM.

Real Name
    Marty Johnston

Can I throw another parameter into the mix here?.....
    If you are down to a tie-breaker between two brands and cannot make a clear decision if one is really "better" than the other, take a look at the servicing/repair arrangements in the part of the world where you live. If the camera were to break down, how quickly would the nearest official service centre have it repaired and back in your hands again?

I'm a Nikon user. 3-4 years ago, I had occasion to return a VR lens to Nikon UK. I won't bore you with the details but let's just say I began to see one good reason why so many busy pro's favour Canon.

Real Name
    Pierre

Something else to consider (especially for the future), is the lenses offered by both manufacturers.