Thread: Canon Loyalty program option?

Real Name
    Mike

Canon Loyalty program option?

My wife's powershot camera went kaput. Our plan was eventually for me to move up from the T2i and go towards the 5DII and she would use the T2i. Now that her camera is shot and the current pricing of the 5DII is outrageous (B&H currently at $3200 while Canon Rumors has the new 5DIII priced at $3500)... Im thinking of going the Loyalty program route and purchasing a refurbished upgrade from the T2I. Was thinking about the 50D. Any thoughts here? Im more into landscapes and the like vs moving stuff hence not considering the 7D.

Im open to other suggestions... my budget is flexible as we actually could put aside $3k for the next camera if we felt justified to... but my thought was to upgrade the body at a lower price and use the extra towards another good lens. (already have the current 70-300mm L IS USM)
    Last edited by Harpo; 25th February 2012 at 02:31 AM.

Real Name
    Kathy

Re: Canon Loyalty program option?

Keep an eye on the Canon website's store for refurbished items. Anything that's not in stock there is unlikely to be available through the CLP. I'm willing to bet you can't get a 50D, but you could get a 60D.

I'm also not sure why you think the 5Dii price on B&H is outrageous. It's actually $100 lower than usual (body-only at $2400) and the 24-105 f/4L IS USM that's comes as the kit lens is $1100 lens on its own. Again, the usual going price. And you can currently pick up a refurbed 5Dii from the Canon website for $2000, and a refurbed EF 28-135 IS USM for $400. It's not like you HAVE to get the 24-105L, although, obviously, it would be nicer.

But yes, I think your plan of staying with a crop and going for better glass first (given the lenses you have) is probably a good one. Your glass will always last you longer than a camera body.

Real Name
    Mike

Kathy- I think my reaction to the price of the 5Dii is because I saw it lower earlier on B&H and with the 5Diii supposedly coming out soon with an estimated price of $3500, Im having a hard time understanding why the new version would only cost $300 more than the last one? What would be the point of buying the 5DII for only $300 less?

Ill have to check out the canon website... thanks for the lead

Real Name
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by Harpo View Post
    Kathy- I think my reaction to the price of the 5Dii is because I saw it lower earlier on B&H
    You could be confusing body-only w/24-105 kitted prices, or gray market and USA prices.

.... and with the 5Diii supposedly coming out soon with an estimated price of $3500...
    Well, first of all, the 5Dii, when it was first released, was MSRPed at $3500 kitted. The price has come down since then. And the 5D Mark I was MSRP $3300 body only when it was initially released. So, I'd also double-check if the rumor is stating a kitted price or a body-only price. And rumors are only rumors.

You mention thinking about the 50D, Mike. But that is now an obsolete model; although there are a few unsold bodies still lurking in some warehouses.

When recently faced with a dead 40D (although since rebuilt) I was pondering over an 'unused' 50D but eventually found an excellent deal on a 7D which ended up not a lot more expensive. I wasn't really keen on the 60D.

The 7D can do everything which a 50D can, and do it a little bit better. And once I learned how to cancel the bits which I didn't need, it works just as easy as the 40D.

But possibly the greatest downside of this range of cameras if you are principally interested in landscape is the cropped sensors.

Real Name
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    But possibly the greatest downside of this range of cameras if you are principally interested in landscape is the cropped sensors.
    That was my concern Geoff about the 50D. Theres a new generation of cameras coming out making the older ones even more obsolete. You have a point about the downside of the cropped sensors for landscapes. Was trying to see if I can get away with a cheaper model and focus on lenses, but left the option open to just going ahead with a FF camera and get it over with. Would get a kit so I get the L lens as well.

Real Name
    Pierre

Mike
    You mention that you are into Landscape photography. There are many 5DII cameras on the used market in the range of $1800-$2100. Brand new at BH for $2349.
    The 70-300 lens is nice, but you may want a wider lens. If you decide to go with a 7D, the Canon 10-22 is an AWESOME lens for landscape, and it also a creative lens for other types of photography. This lens also pops up for sale quite often online. I have purchased quite a few lens, even my 5DII online for fantastic prices. I know it may be "rolling dice", but there are good deals to be had - just make sure you do so on a well known site.

Just note about the 5DII - if you decide to purchase it, the 24-70, first version is an awesome lens that has somehow become welded to my 5DII.
    Good luck

Real Name
    Richard

Yep! A full frame camera is certainly very nice for landscapes but, don't rule out a 1.6x crop camera if equipped with top-notch lenses for landscapes. I shot my Yosemite gallery with 30D and 40D cameras and mostly used the 24-70L and 70-200mm f/4L IS lenses.
    http://rpcrowe.smugmug.com/Other/Yos...105480&k=znpKf

Canon Loyalty program option?

Although I respect the full frame camera, I would rather shoot with a pair of 1.6x cameras (I now use the 7D and 40D) than with a single full frame camera. I like not having to switch lenses in the field and I cetainly like the security of having a second camera on any important photo shoot. The second camera saved my photography on a ten day Alaska trip when I fell climbing a slippery slope and broke my 40D and a fellow photographer missed out on lots of photo opportunities (including the Terra Cotta Warriors) when he fell in front of the City Walls of Xian China. He dd not have a second camera and was not able to replace his broken Nikon DSLR camera until our tour visited Hong Kong several cities later.

However if I were shooting landscapes with full frame camera(s); I could be quite happy with the 24-70mm f/2.8L and 70-200mm f/4L IS lenses. These two lenses would give me all the focal lengths I would need for landscapes.

I am not a great fan of UWA lenses for landscape photography and consider them very specialized tools; rather than the magic elixir some photographers consider them to be...

Real Name
    Mike

Thanks guys for your continued comments. they are appreciated and helps me think through this. I know I could go find a used 40,50,60,7D and combine it with great lens to get super pics as you have already shown. At the same time what is going through my head is this…

For simplicity's sake, lets use the 5DII and 24-70mm as an example… This very minute on the B&H site, a new 5D2 is $2400 and the lens $1270 for a total of $3670. Going the refurbished route on the same set up thru Canon is $2000 and $1200 totaling $3200. Say I can afford it… is it worth putting in another $500 for a newer kit?

At the same time, a new 5D2 and 24-105mmL is totaling $3200. (refurbished: $2920) Should I go with the 70 or 105? Both are excellent for what I do depending on who you listen to.

If I wait a couple more days according to the Canon Rumors site, they may announce the new 5DX (5DIII) with the 24-105mmL lens at an estimated cost of $3500. This one supposedly combines some of the 7D features with the the 5DII making it more versatile for what I take) So that messes with my head!

It comes down to this… I could get a refurbished cheaper body (whether crop or ff), splurge on better lenses… then realize for a bit more, I could have just got a newer model and same better lens… Were getting a nice tax refund this year and it wont be the case next year because of how we are changing our numbers so the government does not hold too much of our money this time! So if there is ever a time to get new equipment, this is it! We are looking for something we can keep and use well for more than a few years without needing to upgrade. We also plan to have a second camera like the G12 as not to experience what Richard did on his trip!

Real Name
    Virginia

Hi, Harpo -

I do the same with refunds and other causes for splurges. My general rule for "expensive" objects is to buy the best gear I can with the longest possible warranty I can get.

I know LOTS of people who don't get warranties on electronic gear but the $$ I've spent on warranties have already come back more than triple, so I look at them as a good deal. When I bought my DSLR, as I pointed out in the discussion about the "best brand", I bought Sony's alpha 700 which was their highest quality professional camera at the time. I haven't regretted it for a second. I mention not to persuade you to switch vendors but as a way to describe my behavior.

In the case of another piece of electronic gear related to my photographic efforts, I first saw it about 10 years before I bought one. I saw it at a show in 1997 when it first came on the market at $8999. I liked it so much that I said I'd buy one if they ever got the cost down to less than $1000 and, in 2007, a new model came on the market at $865. I have one such and LOVE it!

My point is that following the "best I can afford" notion, whether the limit is genetic because of my Scotch grandmother ;~) or a literal lack of $$, has stood me in good stead since I was about 14 years old. And, the slide rule I got back then still works just fine, thank you, even though it's certainly not electronic! ;~)

v

Real Name
    Richard

DrJuice...

I agree with you regarding buying top-line equipment! It seems like every time I decide to go the cheap route especially in photo equipment) I regret the el-cheapo impulse...

When Canon brought out the 300D which was the first sub-thousand U.S. Dollar DSLR camera, it peaked my interest. However, I decided to purchase the more expensive but, more capable 10D instead. I did not ever regret that decision! I wanted a second camera since I have always shot with two cameras and I wanted a camera which could utilize EFS lenses. My choice at that time was between two new Canon DSLR cameras: 350D (Canon XT) and the 20D.

I went the cheaper route and purchased the 350D and regretted that purchase. I never liked shooting with that camera and eventually gave it to my son-in-law who is not as fussy about the camera he uses.

I now shoot with a 40D and a 7D and these cameras, along with 17-55mm f/2.8 IS and a 70-200mm f/L IS lenses, although expensive, provide me with the best general photography and travel photography outfit I have ever used. Yes, I'd like a second 7D to replace the 40D because there are some absolutely great bells and whistles on the 7D. But I bought the 40D when it was the top line 1.6x Canon DSLR and it is still serving me faithfully. I really do not think I will replace it until it dies.

However, I don't regret standardizing on the 1.6x format because I produce excellent imagery with that format and I am absolutely in love with the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS lens.

BTW along that line: I think that Canon sold its full frame users short when they decided not to include IS capability in the 24-70mm f/2.8L ii lens...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 1st March 2012 at 05:55 PM.

Real Name
    Mike

DrJuice and Richard… Im thinking along the same lines you are… Now that the 5DIII has been announced and the kit price is beyond what I plan to budget for, Ill need to think about other options.

This whole thing forced me to really analyze my shooting style and I realized that while I LOVE taking landscapes, I do get a kick out of airshows, wildlife and also take alot of scenic shots that include movement. Most people ask whether you prefer to take pictures in two general categories- Stills (nature scenes, portraits, etc) or Action… then offer suggestions on which camera fits one or the other. What about us who enjoy both? I know many who do have a 5DII and 7D to meet both needs.

Is there an existing Canon DSLR out there that does both well enough without having to go to the 5DIII or buy a 5DII/XXD & 7D? Basically at this time they are selling refurbished 50D, 60D, 7D & 5DII's.

With whatever camera I plan to upgrade and get, I plan to also take advantage of the time to get an additional L lens.