Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Filters for non-slr camera's

Filters for non-slr camera's

I have a FUJIFILM FINEPIX S1500 Camera. I like the versatility of the Camera except I am trying to expand my skills and utilize filters. The fixed lens on the camera is not threaded to accept screw on filters. Does anyone have similar problems. I am considering moving up to a newer Camera, and the FUJI line-up has several 14megapixels with impressive lenses that would increase the usefulness of the camera, but same problem, do not accept filters.

Real Name
    Robin

Re: Filters for non-slr camera's

No easy way to fit a filter to the S Series Finepix cameras as they're not aimed at a serious market and the front barrels are not strong enough to start hanging things off. I know a filter is light but filter systems might start causing problems. However Fuji make a HS range - the HS10 and HS20 that both accept 58mm filters. This is because their lenses have a manual zoom like a SLR and they are aimed at a higher end user. The HS20 is still current and can be purchased for a little over £200 - frankly a bargain for such a versatile machine.

Try playing with the custom setting on the white balance. Not quite the same but can give you some variables. Have fun!
    Tim

Real Name
    John

You can purchase a filter that you simply place in front of the lens. Works best with a tripod.

Real Name
    Graham Heron

Hi.
    Any chance you can give us your name? I like to say hi to a person
    Anyway, I was at a presentation by a renowned landscape photographer (whose name, of course, eludes me). He said that he often hand holds filters in front of the lens. For a graduated neutral density he then moves it up and down during the exposure (long exposures) and this creates a softer gradient than it would otherwise.
    So, he makes a living from his pics and HE handholds, no reason why us poor mortals can't do so as well (at least in some situations). Just watch out for fingers across the image.

Graham
    (I've actually tried this on a sunset recently using a ND filter (NOT graduated) as I didn't have strong enough GND. Seemed to work well). Here's the image There's snow time like the present

Real Name
    Richard

I first shot digitally with an Olympus 5050Z which was a rather advanced (for its era) P&S camera. It could, with an accessory use filters but, since the eye level viewfinder was not through the lens; I did not know what the CPL filter was doing as I rotated. I solved this by rotating the filter in front of my eye until I had it at the point I desired and then placed it on the camera. What a PITA but, it did work!

You could, of course, use a CPL or ND filter by just holding it in front of the lens but, unless your eye level viewfinder was TTL, that might be a problem. Viewing the LCD with an ND filter in front of the lens migt be problematic since the job of the ND filter is to cut down the light. That may make viewing with the LCD dificult.

BTW Robin... I looked at the specs of the Fuji HS20 camera and it seems like a dandy piece of gear, especially since it costs only about $300 new here in the USA and has a focal range that is enormous. I think that this camera would be all the camera that many folks need; especially if all they do with their imagery is to email pictures of the kid's birthday party to Grandma and to shoot "I was there" photos while on vacation. IMO, it would certainly beat the pants off a camera that relies soley on LCD viewing...

I just bought a P&S for my darling wife. B&H advertised a Cokin Shoe Digital Filter Holder "A300"
    which allows the use of Cokin A filters on P&S cameras...
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...er_Holder.html
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 28th February 2012 at 05:17 AM.

Thanks to all those who posted suggestions.GrahamH, very good information on the info on the HS series of camera's whas very welcome indeed. I have been looking at different camera's, Pentax, Nikon, Cannon etc. There's an abundance of difference's on what's out there. I see the Fugi has the edge on focal length,but what arttracted me was the 14+mgpxl. Thats much better than the 10 I get now I believe. But there are cameras out there in the 16+ mgpxl range. Kinda of makes you think if you're buying obsolete features before you take your first picture.
    My first name is Steve, and I also live in Calif. Bay area.