Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Re: NEW MEMBER? please introduce yourself here

Real Name
    Ron Thomas

Re: NEW MEMBER? please introduce yourself here

Hi,

I've just bought a set of 85mm square filter kit soft grads by SRB-Griturn, reading the Canon mag there's plenty of info on using this type of filter system, but yet to see the method of taking exposure, "IE" before placing the ND Filter, say on seascapes; does one take a reading from the dark areas then apply the filter/filters or any other method one should use?

Many Thanks, Taffy 44
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 29th February 2012 at 10:03 PM. Reason: question copied from intro thread

Real Name
    2 penny for the guess..

Hi Ron,

As far as I know, focusing and composition are made before installing ND filters. Use manual focusing to get your focus point (or hyperfocal distance).
    Comming back to your question: where you should made the exposure? I will be tempted to ask you a question: What do you want to have ?, dark areas of land/foreground or the lights in sky ? Evaluative/Matrix are takeing in consideration entyre image, and after you apply those filters, exposure values will be acordingly adjusted.

As a small trick, use spot mettering, and measure the most highlighted part, and then, the most dark area ( aperture priority, to see only the difference in shutter). Comapre those values with the values of evaluative mesurement, and you will have a clue of how much light/dark you should have.

I try to do this handhelded, but is almost impossible, so, tripod is almost mandatory.

Hope it helps,
    Leo

Real Name
    Ron Thomas

Hi Leo
    Thanks for the info,basically want to darken sky and keep forground as it is, I will have to try things out and see how it goes,
    Many Thanks
    Taffy44