Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: There's snow time like the present

Real Name
    Graham Heron

There's snow time like the present

90 minutes from Toronto is Wasaga beach. Great place for families in the winter, water fun parks, picnic areas, beach and water.
    In the winter ....... It's my time for fun.
    This time of year it's usually heavily frozen still. This year is unseasonally warm and the ice is a lot thinner and doesn't extend from the shore as much. Safety is an issue. I fell through at one point - one change of boots and socks later, I'm back. This time with a walking stick.
    Apparently I looked like a blind man on the ice, tap, tap tap.
    Was it worth it? Heck yeah!
    Seven hours of cold fun.

Graham
    1. Sunset

2. Bergie bits

3. Rocks and snow and sky

4.Water and ice

Real Name
    Bobo

Re: There's snow time like the present

A man possessed is a man oblivious of danger. hehe

Very nicely done.

Real Name
    Mavourneen

That first shot is wonderful! Great sunset! But all of them are nice!

Real Name
    Pierre

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    A man possessed is a man oblivious of danger.
    ^^^ This is so true!

I love the first image. The depth, colors of sun/water/ice and the lone piece of ice in the foreground work so well. I would love to be there soaking it all in. Too bad the sunrise is such a short part of the day.

Real Name
    Mike

The unseasonably warm temps are giving a different look to these landscapes! Really like #1 for the colors. The vingetting works great. You dont normally see the snow covered mountains and clear water like this as a combination. Unique photo.

Real Name
    Graham Heron

I must admit that I like the first one myself the best of the day, but that one was the most worked on.

The ice in the midground is actually just piled ice from the lake, around a metre high - not mountains. Interesting, I never thought that until you mentioned it Mike. Thank you for the new perspective on it. I can see it now. The water is froma stream that hasn't quite broken through to the lake as yet so it's sheltered and the wind doesn't affect it, hence the good reflection.
    The ice was a piece I broke off (around 50cm long) and positioned several times before I was happy with it.

I actually nearly left earlier as the sky was cloud free until 20 minutes before sunset so i wasn't expecting anything interesting. I was also at a different location, but when the clouds appeared (thin and wispy, and borderline useful until the very last minute) I decided to return to this location. I got there with minutes to spare. Rapidly got the tripod set up, changed locations twice, got the ice, ignored the ever increasingly wet foot (standing in running water, slowly sinking into the sand can do that you know). And hey presto. I don't think I have ever worked so hard for a landscape shot before. Perhaps that's why I am happy with it.

Bobo, you're back in Ontario. You should have been there yourself. I'm sure we'll bump into each other someday.

Graham