Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Sony A77 a risk?

Sony A77 a risk?

Hello all! New to the forum. I have been out of the slr camera field for the last ten years. Have been investigating the Sony A77 since September and have been intrigued by its technology. I will be shooting indoors (kids are in sports) and outdoors (wildlife) as well. Am interested in the video capabilities also. I have a budget of about $6,000 US. Was looking at getting the Sony 16-50 f/2.8 and the Sony 70-200 f/2.8 g lenses to start. Has the camera been out long enough to really get a good feel for it? Based on my budget, am I taking too big a risk on new technology? Really appreciate any and all feedback!

Re: Sony A77 a risk?

No riskier than an Canon or Nikon. Sony makes good, reliable cameras. The Sony Alpha 77 has been touted by many reviewers as an excellent camera. Your greatest problem might be finding one since I understand the demand is high and the supply curtailed by damage to the factory last fall but that problem might have been corrected by now. While Sony does not have a huge range of lenses, all of the Alpha lenses will fit your camera and there are third party lenses from Sigma and Tamron as well. Personally, I stick with the Sony lenses.

Welcome to the forum.

Real Name
    Kevin

Greetings, Tincup

Several of us here use the A77. I got into Sony by accident when their alpha series was made compatible with the Minolta Maxxim lenses (film)- how often does obsolete come out of retirement? Been with Sony since- A100, A700, A77. It took me longer to get comfortable with the A77, and just really getting there after about 4 months. Overall, quite happy with it, and have never regretted going Sony. As Sony has increasingly been successful at competing with the big boys, other manufacturers are including them much more quickly and routinely, and there is nothing I feel I've had to give up for long. I see that only as likely to get better.

I have no interest in video, and I wish the expense and space might have been applied elsewhere, but obviously that is not true for many others. My lenses are Sony 18-55 2.8, Sony 18-250 (I gave my 70-200 to my daughter), and a Sigma 85 1.4-my best lense and one I highly recommend. Their high end flash is quite good and versatile (dont recall the model and I'm not at home to check)

Jeeperman uses an A77. If he doesnt see this thread, you might PM him- he and I have talked about the camera several times.

Hope this was helpful to you. Good luck, but with your budget, you'll do well be it Sony, Nikon, Canon, or Pentax.

Kevin

Real Name
    Paul

Welcome Tincup...true name?
    I hope not as I own it. I can't say that it will be the very best for what you will be doing with it but very close or equal to anything in the price range and a bit above that range.. I absolutely love mine and have nothing negative to say about it. The 16-50 is quite sharp. I have not tried the 70-200 F 2.8 but recently bought the 70-400G 4-5.6 and it is one fantastic piece of glass.
    I was a little worried about how the OLED viewfinder would be, as I do not like the viewfinder of the A55 and previous models, being used to an optical. I have to say I would rather not go back. It really is fantastic.

Good luck with your search and enjoy what ever you get.

Guess I type slow, as I thought I was the first to reply. lol Anyway as said above, not quite as many lenses to choose from but more all the time and honestly these days I don't think they are lacking much in selection.

Kevin....glad to see you are gettin on well with yours!
    Last edited by jeeperman; 2nd March 2012 at 03:39 AM.

Real Name
    Paul

As for the video, I am not much for video, although I play with it from time to time and it is quite nice. Focuses and tracks nicely. There are a few side by side videos pitting it against the Canon 7D and it does quite well, infact is said to be slightly ahead.

Thanks for all the info! Would you suggest the 70-400 over the 70-200 2.8. I was leAning towards the 70-200 for shooting volleyball and basketball in gyms without a flash.

Wow...thanks for all the responses and info!

Real Name
    Paul

For indoor you will be better off with the 70-200 2.8 Then if you want longer for chasing down birds at some point you can check into a teleconverter. I believe the can be used with that lens but check to be sure. You will need the speed of the 2.8 indoors as it is low light.

Real Name
    Graham Heron

I too am in the Sony A77 camp. Love it (one month in) far more than the A350 I started with. Each camera (any make) will have some limitations and some strengths. Most limitations can be worked around. The more you want to do, the more you will encounter limitations (e.g. flash sync speed, when compared to Hasselblads, Mamiya etc.). Just the way it goes.
    The lens thing is such a minor issue unless (for some reason) you want to stay with OEM. Very few lenses that you can't get in Sony mount than the others.
    Main issue I have is the proprietary flash mount, just a pain. So I have adaptors, now I can use radio triggers. Solved.
    I have used Canon (particularly the 7D) and find no substantial difference (except for no articulated screen in the 7D) between them. Never used a Nikon to date.

So, no risk. All the greats have made their name using cameras with far less functionality, so you are ahead of the game in that respect. Now it's all down to your vision.
    Graham