Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Help picking a lens for filming close up...

Help picking a lens for filming close up...

I am filming product demonstration videos. I got started with the assistance of a friend and now he is too busy to help me. I need help with a picking lens for up close - up work; i.e. product marketing. I purchased the same camera he used: Canon 7D EOS. Anyhow, here are my Qs:

Can you recommend a lens for up close shots?
    Can you recommend a lens for filming interviews?

Thank you in advance for your help. I am new to this world and I am just getting started with the learning curve.

DeltaFortune
    Last edited by Donald; 18th February 2012 at 08:06 AM. Reason: EDIT to text by Moderator

Real Name
    Russell

Re: Help picking a lens for filming close up...

Hi, For close up photography Canon 100mm (I believe the newer model comes with image stablization) the cheaper option is extension tubes, for moving pics sorry I have no idea.
    Russ

Real Name
    Richard

Re: Help picking a lens for filming close up...

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaFortune View Post
    I am filming product demonstration videos. I got started with the assistance of a friend and now he is too busy to help me. I need help with a picking lens for up close - up work; i.e. product marketing. I purchased the same camera he used: Canon 7D EOS. Anyhow, here are my Qs:

Can you recommend a lens for up close shots?
    Can you recommend a lens for filming interviews?

Thank you in advance for your help. I am new to this world and I am just getting started with the learning curve.

DeltaFortune
    The choice of lenses would, IMO, depend on the product (especially the size of the product) you are shooting and how close you need to shoot.

The first choice that might come to mind when "close up" photography is required, is a macro lens of some type.

This is not always the case. A macro lens is not always needed. As an example, a 24-70mm f/2.8L (I just picked this lens at random) has a maximum reproduction ratio of 1:3.44

This means that you can fill the frame with an area as small as approximately 76.4mm x 51mm (~3in x 2in). If you could achieve the image you need with a coverage of 3-inches by 2-inches, you could do it with a standard lens. Other lenses have different image ratio capabilities. For example the 18-55mm Canon Kit lens has capable of an image ratio of 1:2.9 which means that you can fill the frame with an area smaller than 3-inches by 2-inches.

I have found that the easiest way to determine the maximum image ratio of any lens is to look that lens up on the B&H Photo website and access the lens specifications.

If you can photograph your subject/subjects with a standard zoom lens, you will have a greater versatility in shooting your subjects. The single focal length macro lenses will, of course, allow you to fill the frame with an area the size of your sensor but, depending on the maximum size of the subject, you might have problems in using a single focal length lens due to the space in which you are shooting. For example, you might have a difficult time framing a rather large subject when using a 100mm macro lens in a standard size room due to limitations on lens to subject distance.

OTOH... It can be a LOT EASIER shooting closeups with a camcorder than with a 7D. The camcorder has far greater DOF capability which reduces capability of selective focus, but simplifies close-up shooting. I have just purchased a Panasonic TN900 camcorder and I am blown away by the closeup capability of that camera without any special lenses or filters. The TM900 which has unbelievable image stabilization capability is priced less than some macro lenses and has full manual exposure and focus capability.

Does the image quality equal that of the 7D? I will find that out in side by side testing. I have a hunch that the 7D image would be superior if projected onto a theater sized movie screen but that the TM900 quality might be entirely adequate for viewing on a TV screen.
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 18th February 2012 at 05:07 PM.