Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: monopod to double as a trekking pole

monopod to double as a trekking pole

Google searches turn up several poles that can act as a monopod:
    Hama Alenpod, Camlink CMP1, Exped Viewfinder, Leki Sierra
    Beyond the obvious, "You get what you pay for", which means a £70 pole is going to be more robust than a £30, one does anyone have any recommendations on this type of thing?

Alternatively, can a monopod be use as a trekking pole, if so any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ken

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: monopod to double as a trekking pole

Hi Ken,

Quote Originally Posted by stuck View Post
    Alternatively, can a monopod be use as a trekking pole, if so any suggestions?
    The problem would be gripping it without getting wrist ache or even injuring your hand or wrist if you lost your footing.

I wonder if anyone makes a handgrip device that could attach to the threaded bush or quick release plate?

Good question, I'd benefit from taking one with me sometimes

I am sure some members do, so I await some feedback too.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Hero

I think, a trekking pole might make a mediocre monopod, but that's ok, when you think of how dangerous a mediocre trekking pole a monopod might be. So I'd bet my money on hacking some threaded rod into the handle of a trekking pole.

Real Name
    Andrew

Due to a problem with shaky hands I've been using a monopod for about 20 years. I have a couple. The first one is a Manfrotto 434. It's a aluminum three extension tube model with a soft-grip handle and wrist strap that I know will take my weight on an occasional stumble. The nice thing is that with the 234RC mount it extends to 5 feet 5 inches so I can use it all day without continually bending over to look in the viewfinder. The downside is it may be a bit heavy for some to wander around all day with. My second one is a custom made single piece unit that is 5 feet 6 inches long measuring 1 1/4 inches in diameter at the top and 1 inch in diameter at the bottom. It's actually a stick. A rather interesting looking mostly straight branch I took a liking to some years ago. I can rest my camera on the top of it or use my left hand and index finger as a brace at any one of the manually adjustable levels it has. Many shots have been made using that pole for stability.

What I am trying to get across with a bit of humour is the previous posters are correct. Get yourself a purpose-built walking pole that will safely aid you in your travels. Unless you are like me and have to use support all the time I don't think there is a need to get one with a screw mount. Just rest the camera on top or hold it in-place wherever you like. Do try to get one tall enough to use standing up though.

Real Name
    Richard

I have recently purchased a wooden trekking pole (walking stick) and have cut off the top end of the pole so that when the pole is perpendicular to the ground, the flat top is parallel with the ground. The height of the pole puts the camera right at eye level for me.

I am going to tap a 3/8" hole on the top and epoxy in a 3/8" bolt. Them I will fasten my Kirk MPA-1 monopod head to which I will mount my camera.

The negative factor of this rig is that it cannot be collapsed for travel.

However, the positive factor of this rig is that it cannot collapse when I put my weight on it for support over rough terrain.

The positive factor far outweighs the negative when using the rig as a walking stick.

I am going to wrap the handle with the adhesive backed cork strip with which I used to wrap the butts of my custom salt water fishing rods.

The stick has a hole drilled through it at handle level. I will use some nylon webbing as a carrying, hand strap.

One advantage of this stick is that it has a removable rubber crutch tip at the end. When I remove the rubber tip, there is a steel spike.

The stick only cost eight U.S. Dollars at Quartzsite, Arizona. And the guy selling them cut off the top end free of charge. The Quartzsite, AZ, area is filled with seasonal merchants and is like a 6-month continuous rummage sale or swap meet.