Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Portrait

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Portrait

This is new for me. I'm not a portrait photographer but people keep asking and in a weak moment I did it for a friend at no charge. He is recently married and his wife wanted a picture. I don't think most people realize the time commitment to get a series of images up for review. In any event, this is one in the series I took. I shot in my house and have no equipment for a backdrop, soft boxes, etc. so this is an on-camera flash bounced from the left. I could see there was enough weak window fill light to cover the far side of his face. It was a quick and easy extraction and I then added a background using colors, gradients, texture and blending modes until I liked it.

Chuck

Portrait

Real Name
    Bob Murphy
    Very impressive

Real Name
    Sharon

Re: Portrait

Lots of lovely detail.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

From the blended background shading to the confident but friendly expression on his face, a well executed photograph!

Real Name
    Mal

Nicely done with the lighting. His expression looks natural and he seems comfortable in his pose.

I'd probably suggest brightening his eyes a touch. For me also I think I would have liked to have seen his hands sharper as they seem to feature prominently in the photo - but it's a great capture nonetheless.

Real Name
    Kay

I think this is great!

Real Name
    Rob Douglas
    Great work Nelson. I love the lighting and the soft fade of the background. As Malcolm pointed out though the hands could be a bit sharper. What aperture did you shoot this at? f/11-f/16 would have been a good place to start. Other than the hands being a touch soft this image is great.

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Thanks all! I agree with Malcolm and Rob...I wish the hands were in sharp focus. I was using my 70-200 wide open at 2.8 because I was cramped for space and couldn't place the subject too far from the curain behind him. I wanted separation from the background and lighting was really low so I shot at ISO 800 wide open. I wish I'd tried it stopped down just a little to capture the hands. He said he just wanted a face shot because his wife wanted to put a picture in a locket so I focused on just the face and didn't pay attention to the hands.

Real Name
    Mal

Well, I think he and his wife will be very, very happy with what you have here

Real Name
    Nigel
    Excellent portrait.

Real Name
    Don

Very nice shot, love the expression. For low light or added fill light look into getting a 36" reflector to help bounce the light to fill in areas that might need a boost. I got mine for just that, and it works great to fill in where light is needed. best $20 I have spent. Really portable too folds right up and fits into my rucksack. Thanks for sharing.