Rob Farnell

Civil War Reenactment

Civil War Reenactment
    Brooksville Florida

My son standing guard at the Pay Depot.
    Civil War Reenactment

Another view

Civil War Reenactment

My son is the little one in front and is part of the 79th New York Highlanders.

Civil War Reenactment

Before the Battle

Civil War Reenactment

During the heat of battle!!!

Civil War Reenactment

Civil War Reenactment

Civil War Reenactment

Thanks for viewing!
    C&C are always welcomed!
    Rob

Real Name
    Sam Smith, I have photo ID

Re: Civil War Reenactment

Rob great captures.Other than being on the wrong side. (GA) I think the first 3 are the best. The last ones could use a tighter crop to rid them of the partial people in the right hand side. Great color and sharpness.

Real Name
    Richard

Great captures...

I love Civil War reenactments. The only thing that spoils the realism of these reenactments, IMO, is the prevalence of overweight men in uniforms. Civil War soldiers were generally pretty thin. Johnny Reb, especially, was a lean, hard man; usually skin and bones due to his meager rations.

The 79th New York Highlanders fought in many of the famous battles of the Civil War. Of its original 895 members, less than 130 were left at the end of the War. My Great-Great Grand Father had a passing acquaintence with the 79th New York at the First Battle of Manassas (called by the men wearing blue, First Bull Run). He was in the Third Tennessee Infantry, Provisional Army of the Confederacy.

Real Name
    Kevin

Nice shots, Rob.

I have a huge interest in anything related to the American Civil War, so thanks for sharing. Would be interesting to see some of your shots processed in sepia or tin-typing with a bit of vignetting and grain to give a Matthew Brady-like effect. Would be great to see some more of your re-enactment stuff .

Kevin

Real Name
    Mal

Looks like you had some great opportunities for photos there. Enjoyed viewing them - thanks for sharing.

Real Name
    Nigel
    Rob,
    Really enjoyed looking at these. How about number 2 in sepia with a nice vignette? Might look very olde worlde!

Real Name
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    The only thing that spoils the realism of these reenactments, IMO, is the prevalence of overweight men in uniforms. Civil War soldiers were generally pretty thin. Johnny Reb, especially, was a lean, hard man; usually skin and bones due to his meager rations.
    Funny, I was just thinking the exact same thing as I was looking at the pics. They should require the enactment crew to do a REAL reenactment by doing forced 80 mile marches, fully loaded… dragging the cannons, etc! That would sure be an excellent opportunity to slim down without the men having to give up their steaks, burgers and meatballs!

Real Name
    Kevin

Hi , all

I had the distinct privilege of being on the Gettysburg battle site when Turner movies filmed their movie a few years back, specifically on the day they staged Pickett's charge (before I was interested in photography, alas). Those poor , chubby re-enactors had to charge at 3/4 speed the entire distance up Cemetery Ridge (about 3/4 mi, and they were dropping like flies: some according to script and a whole bunch from heat stroke- they had ambulances running back and forth in the 96 degree (F) heat like a true battle scene. Whaat I would give now to go back and photograph that day!

Kevin

Real Name
    John

Rob, love the b&w group shot. Seeing your son in these pictures makes me think of all the boy around his age that fought and died in that war. Sad.

Real Name
    Rob Farnell

Thanks Everyone for the great feedback,
    Here are 3 of the pictures re-done with a part of the program (corel) that I never knew I had.

Civil War Reenactment

Civil War Reenactment

Civil War Reenactment

Real Name
    Joe

Rob those images are great. Love what you did with the edits. I use Paintshop Pro X2, love it! I try to make it to Gettysburg every year. This will be my first year since beginning my new hobby of photography. Cant wait.

Real Name
    Scott Benz

Love the edits!

Real Name
    Nigel
    Rob,
    Great edits! That's what I was after! Thanks.