Thread: The Three Tenors

Real Name
    John

The Three Tenors

I took this photo near the Cape of Good Hope in South Africa where I found these three guys basking in what little sunlight there was. I don't know what it is, but I just love these 3 little guys. Its not the best composition, but I had to crop some unwanted stuff(other penguins) out of the original. I wish the image was a lot crisper but I never seem to be happy with that part of my pictures. I wonder if its me or my equipment? In the absence of any evidence, I'll blame my equipment (hoping to upgrade soon), but its probably me. Comments and suggestions are always welcome. Thanks!

The Three Tenors
    The Three Tenors, Cape of Good Hope, South Africa
    You guys decide which ones are Pavarotti, Domingo and Carreras.

Real Name
    Mal

Re: The Three Tenors

They're cute little fellas. I can see their appeal.

What equipment are you using and what were the settings your camera was on for this shot?

Real Name
    John

I use a Canon EOS 300D(6.5mp) with a Tamron 70-200mm 3.5-6.3 lens. Both about 10 years old. This particular shot was taken at ISO100, f6.3, 1/100, 200mm.

I really would like to know why I see so many fantastic clear and crisp images on this website which I can't seen to capture. I'm sure a lot of times there are things I could be doing better, but generally, I wonder how much difference a new camera and lenses would make. I'm ready to upgrade anyways but what do you guys think?

Thanks.

Real Name
    Mal

If you were shooting hand held, one thing you might want to keep in mind is that your camera has a crop sensor giving you an equivalent focal length of 320mm so 1/100s might be too slow to get a sharp image. Try using a shutter speed of 1/300 or faster because the further you zoom out, the more pronounced slight hand movements are.

Having said that, I'm not sure what the quality of the Tamron lenses of that era were, but I have a Tokina lens of the same vintage (28-210 3.5-5.6) and I always find that unless I'm in bright day light, my images rarely come out sharp. The lens and camera technique will dictate the sharpness of your image so if you bump up your shutter speed or use a tripod and still are getting soft images, it may be worthwhile investing in a new lens.

Hopefully some of the more experienced photographers around here will give you some feedback as well.

Real Name
    John

Thanks Malcolm!