Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Early winter sun catching trees

Real Name
    Gary

Early winter sun catching trees

I have been noticing in the time around sunrise how the trees can have a wonderful golden colour. I managed to get this image which I quite liked. Hope some of you do as well!

Cheers for now

Gary

Early winter sun catching trees

Real Name
    Wendy

Re: Early winter sun catching trees

Hi Gary. I think this is one of those shots where you haven't quite portrayed what you are seeing and feeling and hearing. This is a good example of what Donald speaks of in post #12 in this thread. Landscape tips

Please, I hope you do not think I am being to hard on you. I cannot count the times I have come home with something similar, but when seeing the shot, it just does not portray everything I saw and felt and heard. It's not so easy to get all that sensory information in a photograph. I can imagine what the light was like that day and what you were seeing, but if I only had this shot to look at and not your words to describe it the picture would not do it.

Wendy

Real Name
    Gary

No worries Wendy. Its an interesting comment as I have just started reading a book by Ansel Adams. He says very similar things in there. Specifically about visualising what you want the end image to look like. Another, quote which he said which might apply to my image is that what you see outside and looks good can be totally different in the frame of the camera. Capturing in an image of what you feel at the time is I think one of the more difficult things to do! I think that is what Donald is saying with his comments?

I'm happy to receive constructive criticism as it helps to begin to think in different ways about how you go about capturing images.

Cheers for now

Gary

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by oldgreygary View Post
    ... I have just started reading a book by Ansel Adams. He says very similar things in there.
    I thought it was too clever a thing for me to have made up myself!

I must have logged this into the memory banks when reading Adams and then reformed it into my own words. Because I certainly do recall reading his thoughts on this and wouldn't want it seem as if I was trying to plagiarise his thoughts and ideas.