Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: B&W - Camden Canal

Real Name
    Tommy

B&W - Camden Canal

Hi All,

Took the Sigma 10-20mm for a spin this morning along the Regent's Canal towards Camden, London.

This is one shot that I got that I am quite pleased with, processed in ACR and CS5.

I would appreciate feedback on all aspects, especially the B&W conversion.

Nikon D90 | Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 @ 10mm | f/11 | 1/500 | ISO 200

B&W - Camden Canal

Thanks for looking

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: B&W - Camden Canal

The lens is performing well. It's handled all the detail of the brickwork and rendered it well.

You've got a nice set of rich tones in the conversion, in the building, the walkway, the water and the trees. It's the sky that I don't feel 'fits' the image. It's seems too nice and pleasant a sky for that image. It's a sky that needs fluffy little lambs or bales of hay below it, not a hard, post-industrial landscape. But that's maybe me just stereotyping. It's maybe what you were wanting to show.

I'd probably have thought of putting filter effect on the sky. I think you guys with Photoshop can do all sorts of wonderful things with the Graduated Filter tool you have. Or you could put a yellow filter effect on it.

Real Name
    Chris

I have to agree with Donald on the sky...maybe a little more toward this end??

B&W - Camden Canal

Real Name
    Tommy

Thank you both for your comments and Chris, I like your edit. I guess I should take this sort of shot on a moodier, more overcast day.

PS the new light box really comes into its own for this sort of thing. You can really see the difference in Chris's edit by switching between pics in the light box. Great stuff :-)