Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Landscape tips

Real Name
    Anne

Landscape tips

I love looking at scenery and landscapes, but when I photograph even the most beautiful of scenes it doesnt do it justice. Any tips?

Thanks.

Re: Landscape tips

Anne
    I think the guys near here could write a literature of suggestions... perhaps the best way to start is if you post a or a few of pics to let us comment on it. so, learning from a few pictures you could learn for all the pictures you will capture in the future
    looking forward seeing something from you
    cheers
    Nicola

Real Name
    Anne

Thanks Nicola your suggestion is very much apprectiated. I will have a look and hopefully put one on that is not too embarrassing! lol
    Anne

Real Name
    Paul

I agree with Nicola. It would be much easier to explain what might make a image better or have more impact if we could have one to see what it is that you have captured. Don't worry about what your photo looks like, we all start in the same place and we enjoy seeing the progress.

Real Name
    Anne

Thanks Paul

Real Name
    Anne

As taken

Landscape tips

Real Name
    Anne

Same image - Post process

Landscape tips

Real Name
    Paul

I think you have managed the crop quite well and would not be ashamed of this at all. It does seem a bit oversaturated in the sky and water and the shadow far right might be lightened some to allow detail. Other than that, nice.

Real Name
    Anne

Much appreciated Paul. I am still learning photo-shop and I am happy to take opportunities to practice, so I will have another go at photo-shop with your comments in mind. Thanks again. Anne

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Anne,

The crop from the original looks basically good to me too.

Here's a list of random thoughts in no particular order;

There's a path on the left which loops in and out of frame and doesn't really contribute (it could be said it goes from nowhere to nowhere).
    There's no single point of interest.
    The outcrop of rocks on the left keeps attracting my attention, but when I look, there's nothing to hold it, the same could be said for the jetty on the right.
    You could add a little more sky, instead of cropping, because of the 'over hang' visible in the SOOC version.
    Landscapes often look underwhelming if presented too small; try downsizing to say, 1500px wide so we can see it much bigger.
    Do the clouds may have a slight pink tinge? Perhaps the time of day: EXIF says 20:14 on 25/11/2011, was this shot in Scotland, perhaps on a camera where the time hadn't been adjusted to GMT for the end of daylight saving?

Hope that's helpful,
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 2nd January 2012 at 10:38 PM. Reason: finish the unfinished sentence

Real Name
    Anne

Hi Dave thanks for your comments. I must look at the time settings on camera...as this photograph was taken in the morning. (Abbington Scotland). To add more sky instead of cropping, does that just mean cloning it in? (A novice with photoshop).

As I said previously I am still learning, but your suggestions have given me food for thought for the next time. You have pointed out some things I hadnt noticed before, like the path, and the jetty so it's all good learning for me.

Thank you for taking the time to give me such constructive feedback it is much appreciated.

Anne

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by annie5154 View Post
    You have pointed out some things I hadnt noticed before, like the path, and the jetty so it's all good learning for me.
    Anne - There are a number of things to learn about re landscapes ... and they will all drop into place one-by-one. And this is one of the most important.

Once you've composed your shot, you've got your settings just as you want them and you're about to press the shutter ....STOP! And then start studying what you are really seeing through the viewfinder (or on the LiveView screen if you use that). What is in that frame?

Because you're there ... in the environment and your sensing the whole scene. But when you put it up on here, then all we're seeing is what's inside a rectangle. So, we're going to concentrate on that. We don't have the benefit of knowing what's outside the edges of that frame. We don't know how lovely the fresh air felt or what smells were in the air. All we've got to go on is what you put inside that rectangle.

So, you need to stop and look around that frame again and check exactly what you've got in it.

And that, I assure you, is something that, with plenty practice, becomes second nature.
    Last edited by Donald; 2nd January 2012 at 10:53 PM.

Real Name
    Anne

Thank you Donald that is so helpful, I didnt think of it like that. I will be out and about tomorrow so I will try to put into practice all the good tips and guidance from here tonight. Thanks again.
    Anne

Real Name
    Pierre

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Anne - There are a number of things to learn about re landscapes ... and they will all drop into place one-by-one. And this is one of the most important.

Once you've composed your shot, you've got your settings just as you want them and you're about to press the shutter ....STOP! And then start studying what you are really seeing through the viewfinder (or on the LiveView screen if you use that). What is in that frame?

Because you're there ... in the environment and your sensing the whole scene. But when you put it up on here, then all we're seeing is what's inside a rectangle. So, we're going to concentrate on that. We don't have the benefit of knowing what's outside the edges of that frame. We don't know how lovely the fresh air felt or what smells were in the air. All we've got to go on is what you put inside that rectangle.

So, you need to stop and look around that frame again and check exactly what you've got in it.

And that, I assure you, is something that, with plenty practice, becomes second nature.
    This is one of the best composition/image making ideas I have seen presented in regards to Landscape photography in a long time. - great info!

Real Name
    GIRISH A.

Hi.Anne........its a nice landscape.......am also interested in landscape photography..and do not know to work on photoshop...i just enhance the photo a little bit on picassa thats it......the cropped photo is nice.....i feel.....u can try taking some low level angle which will give a different perspective.....just my idea.....try it out...here is one of my landscape photo taken in Himalayan Range.......

[IMG]Landscape tips[/IMG]

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by PBelarge View Post
    This is one of the best composition/image making ideas I have seen presented in regards to Landscape photography in a long time. - great info!
    Thank you, Pierre.

It's the sort of advice that I benefited enormously from when I found CiC (and still do). Dear Pops Carter (who has not been so active on the forum for a while) had a whole volume of these simple gems of advice that made so much common sense. When someone says something, as Pops so often did, that makes you think -'That's so simple. Why didn't I think of that?', you know it's a good piece of learning.

Real Name
    Pierre

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Thank you, Pierre.

It's the sort of advice that I benefited enormously from when I found CiC (and still do). Dear Pops Carter (who has not been so active on the forum for a while) had a whole volume of these simple gems of advice that made so much common sense. When someone says something, as Pops so often did, that makes you think -'That's so simple. Why didn't I think of that?', you know it's a good piece of learning.

Keep them coming Donald, I will be like a Ramora...

Real Name
    Anne

You are so right Donald ... and I am grateful that you gave me the benefit of your experience. Although the weather has been too bad to get out and about with the camera this past few days, I have taken time to think about composition and setting the scene so to speak. Thanks again.

Real Name
    Anne

Lovely image Girish, thanks for sharing. I will try a low level angle when I am out next.

Real Name
    Anne

Many thanks to everyone for the very constructive feedback I will make sure to ask for much more.
    Anne

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast