Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Sterlingtek Batteries...really hate to post this...

Real Name
    Jeannie

Sterlingtek Batteries...really hate to post this...

The Sterlingtek batteries (BP-511) I purchased right before Thanksgiving have failed me 3 times between Thanksgiving and Christmas. One battery worked once, and since then will not take a charge. The other one died on me after taking about 20 photos, and then after recharging it, died on me after taking about 60 photos.

I hesitated posting this as I didn't want y'all to feel bad that you had reccommended them. But - I didn't want anyone to get caught in a situation where a dead battery would mean disaster.

I can't remember if I read it here or on another photo forum I visited once or twice, but someone's opinion was that Japanese generic batteries were excellent, but stay away from generic batteries from China. I went and looked at the Sterlingtek batteries and they are made in China. I am wondering if Sterlingtek has recently changed suppliers? If you remember, the first Sterlingtek batteries I ordered were dead on arrival (and I couldn't resuscitate them ). It's not my charger because my 2 original Canon batteries are still charging up fine.

I plan to call Sterlingtek next week...haven't made up my mind whether I will try another brand or try Sterlingtek for the 3rd time.

Re: Sterlingtek Batteries...really hate to post this...

Maybe this is what we get for always looking for the cheapest of everything. Sorry about the batteries; and to think on another thread I suggested them.

Reminds me of this:

“There is nothing that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and he who considers price only is that man’s lawful prey”. John Ruskin 1819 - 1900

Seems like we are all guilty on this one.

Glenn

Real Name
    Richard

Unfortunately, many companies in order to save money are farmng out their production or acquisition to China which often means problems for consumers and sometimes tragedy (in the area of dog foods).

Although I have had very good luck with Sterlingtek batteries (the one which did not charge was replaced by Sterlingtek). I will no longer recommend that brand to other people. Thanks for posting and don't feel bad about that your experience did not mesh with our recommending these batteries. I always recommended them on the basis of my experience and the ones I have (both BP511A and EP6A) continue to work fine. but, like I said; in all conscience, I can no longer continue to recommend them with my previous confidence...

I do recommend that you contact Sterlingtek after the New Year and discuss your problems with them...

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Sad to hear - I've been a fan of them too. I'd like to think it's just an unlucky run ... if everyone had the same issues then they'd be out of business pretty quick.

Keep us informed?

Real Name
    John

Perhaps the failure is due to the amount of energy needed to charge the batteries. When you say fail I assume you mean the batteries drained quickly not just wouldn't function at all.

Real Name
    Richard

One of the wonderful bells and whistles on the 7D is that the camera will tell you not only the charge level of the battery, but how well the battery has accepted the charge.