Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help for Novice - Canon 60D or 600D?

Real Name
    Ramki

Help for Novice - Canon 60D or 600D?

This is my first time here. I have for years been buying point & shoot cameras, and unhappy with results from recent key events that were photographed. I am travelling on holiday to Cambodia (to see the old temples there) and later in the year to Kenya (for an Aftrican Safari). So this time want to spend some hard earned money on a good camera. Trying to choose between Canon 60D and Canon 600D. I know that 60D is mid-range and more expensive and a heavier as well (both self and wife have weak shoulders, sigh!). I dont want to make a mistake in choosing the wrong camera. My request to you is to kindly advise me on which is the better one? I also need your help in choosing the right lens. (I do tend to take many pictures inside our home when the kids arrive for holidays, or in some malls. Just a bit of extra info) Thank you in advance

Real Name
    Richard

Re: Help for Novice

Either the 600D or 60D will provide excellent imagery. I would personally prefer the slightly larger and slightly more versatile 60D to the 600D because of the following:

I like the control system of the 60D which has two control wheels.
    I like the top LCD of the 60D.
    I like the one user selected mode in which you can set any of the camera parameters, register them and then select these parameters with one turn of the dial. You can have your camera set up for non-moving subjects but have the parameters for fast moving subjects registered and ready to set with the mode dial.

Here is a side by side comparison of the two cameras...

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-600d-vs-Canon_EOS_60D

However, if your budget is slim, you would probably be better off buying the 600D which is lighter in weight and using the money you save to get a better lens than the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS kit lens. Although this lens can provide quite decent imagery, purchasing a 600D body with a lens such as the 17-55mm f/2.8 Tamron (VC or non-VC) will make your camera/lens package more versatile because of the constant f/2.8 aperture.

Another accessory which, IMO, is pretty vital would be a hotshoe flash such as the Canon 430EX ii or an ETTL capable flash from a third party manufacturer. Bouncing flash using a diffuser reflector ( which you can fabricate yourself http://super.nova.org/DPR/DIY01/ ) can give you excellent results....
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 6th October 2011 at 04:25 PM.

Real Name
    Andrew

I think Richard has pretty much summed it up there. Not much better advice than that. For what you're looking to do, I'd be happy with either camera. If you're looking at becoming more involved with photography in the future, lean towards the 60D. If budget, and weight (you did mention you were traveling), are an issue - be happy with the 600D and use the extra funds to buy a Speedlite.

Good luck!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew76 View Post
    I think Richard has pretty much summed it up there.
    I agree. I think Richard's advice is excellent.

Just a thought, but if you are getting a better camera to take on the sort of holidays where it stands a chance of being damaged or stolen would a second hand alternative like the 40D be worth considering.

Still a good camera; I wouldn't swap mine for a 60D.

But to make things even more complicated. If you are starting from scratch a Nikon or Olympus are also worth considering.

In my humble opinion, Richard said some important things
    but I think that a novice hardly can share the reasons why he prefers the 60D.
    I focused my attention to the sensor, which is , in my opinion, the most important parameter for a novice.
    the two camera have the same sensor, and this leads the performances very similar

see this test report

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cam...(brand2)/Canon

I think is worth to save some money on the body in order to spend something more for the lens/lenses. A good lens is for a life, the body specs are improved every year with a new model... you could grow up in photography and then buy a new higher level camera

to read something about lenses http://www.photozone.de

finally, to save some money on flash, see the Nissin's ones. better in price/performance ratio than canon ones
    hope this helps
    Nicola
    Last edited by Nicola; 8th October 2011 at 09:55 AM.

Real Name
    Ramki

Richard, Thanks for your detailed reply. Much appreciated. May I ask whether you would recommend the 17-55mmm f/2-8 Tamron if I went with Canon 60D?

Real Name
    Ramki

Thanks Andrew76

Real Name
    Ramki

Thank you Nicola

Real Name
    Ramki

Thank you Geoff

Real Name
    Mike

Hello Ramki,
    If possible you should visit a store and play with the cameras in question( if you haven't already), and any other similar cameras on display. The ergonomics of the models you look at may make the decision for you. The 17-55 Tamron would be a good lens for either camera, better image quality, but bigger and heavier also.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Ramki,

In terms of image quality, the two will be very similar (as is pretty much the image quality between any two modern cameras these days), so what differentiates models isn't image quality, but other factors, such as ergonomics, build quality, shutter life, firmware options etc. The body is just one part of a camera system -- over the years you'll no doubt add other parts to that system like lenses / flashes / tripods (and a whole lot more). It's important to have a realistic budget for some of these things that you might need initially, but at the same time, you need to be careful that the camera you purchase is one that's going to be a pleasure to use -- not a frustration. For that reason - even though the 600D is cheaper - and the image quality may be indistinguishable from the 60D - personally - I'd give it a miss (and yes, I've owned a Canon entry-level model - I sold it within a few weeks after I found the ergonomics "sub-optimal" (with the biggest issue being the lack of a quick control dial, so everything needs to be accomplished with lots and lots of button pushes)).

Real Name
    Ramki

Thank you Myk.

Real Name
    Ramki

Hi Colin, You have neatly added some weighty arguments for 60D. Thank you too.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by nramki View Post
    Hi Colin, You have neatly added some weighty arguments for 60D. Thank you too.
    You're very welcome Ramki,

To be honest, I tend to think of the xxxD and xxxD range as being a bit like spare tires - they can get you out of a tight spot, but for the most part they're best kept in the boot for use "in case of emergency". I know that sounds a little cruel (especially when the image quality is just fine), but having had one - only to lose money on it when I sold it to "move up" a few weeks later - I learned the hard way (again) that "you get what you pay for"; there are good reasons why they're cheaper.

Real Name
    Ramki

Hello everyone, after taking your advice I have placed an order for the following configuration:
    Canon EOS 60D 18 MP CMOS Digital SLR Body with Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens + Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Camera Lens+Canon Speedlite 430EX II Flash for Canon Digital SLR Cameras+ Canon Deluxe Gadget Bag + Canon EW-73B Lens Hood + Transcend 16GB SDHC Class 10 Memory Card + Canon LPE6 Spare Battery + 67mm Essential Pro DHD UV Filter + Sunpak 6600DX Digital Tripod. I have also invested in the Kindle edition of David Busch's guide for EOS60D so that I could read up on the camera before it arrives. Feel excited like a kid with a new toy! Thanks again all of you.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

That's quite a shopping list to be getting started with. Good on you Ramki. I am sure you will enjoy it all.

I would strongly support your decision to buy that guide to the 60D and would urge you to study it in great detail and keep it with you always. If you become a true master of the camera, learn how to use all t4h controls so that they become automatic in your hands and are able to make it do what it is truly capable of, then you will have a far more enjoyable experience with it.

Real Name
    Ramki

Donald, Thanks for the followup advice. The order cut a deep hole in my pocket (( and I am still finding out more stuff to buy like a better shoulder strap, for instance). The order wont reach me till possibly 23rd of this month. meanwhile, I have downloaded the kindle edition of the book, and started reading it. I need just one reassurance from you, that my purchase of the Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens is a good choice. I didn't do too much research before putting that as the long-distance lens, and now I am getting a bit worried that perhaps i went for a wrong lens!!(typcal user mentatilty I guess..) Plse bear in mind that my other lens is Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II. Thanks in advance.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by nramki View Post
    I need just one reassurance from you, that my purchase of the Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens is a good choice.
    Ramki

I have not used that lens, but I have read positive reports about it. I am sure it will do a very good job for you.
    Last edited by Donald; 9th October 2011 at 02:18 PM.

Real Name
    Richard

Congratulations on your purchase. I am sure that you are anxiously awaiting the arrival of your equipment. Shoot a lot of images and share them with us. Don't forget that we are here to help you in any way you need.

As with Donald, I have not used the 18-135mm lens but, I have also read some decent reviews on it. I KNOW that the focal range would be very handy since I started DSLR photography with a 28-135mm lens and enjoyed it emensely but, wished that I had a wider end. The 18-135mm focal range should cover the vast range of your normal camera useage, it would cover much of my needs.

I like the fact that the front element doesn't turn when the lens is being focused. This is quite convenient when shooting with a CPL filter (both the 18-55mm and the 55-250mm lenses have front elements which turn when focusing). I also like the fact that this lens seems to be exceptionally light in weight. Each ounce (gram) seems to weigh a pound (kilogram) at the end of a long-long day of walk around shooting.

Your addition of both a 50mm f/1.8 lens and a 430EX ii flash will provide low light capability. The tripod will, if used, allow you to shoot at the sweet spot of this lens which apparently is around f/8. According to a review I have read, http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...ns-Review.aspx; this lens can compete quite well with more expensive telephoto zooms when used at f/8. Shooting at the sweet spot of the lens combined with the solid hold of a tripod will make youe lens quite competitive.

I have two comments:

First: All DSLR imagery needs post processing including sharpening. The disks which come with your 60D have a very adequate photo editing program included. Learn how to use it or purchase a relatively inexpensive copy of Photoshop Elements-9 and learn how to use that program. Unless you do some editing, you may very well be disappointed in the results you get from your new equipment. This is true with any DSLR setup...

Second: I am glad to see that you purchased a lens hood for your 18-135mm lens. I recommend using that hood whenever you are shooting. Some photographers seem to think that a lens hood is only for outdoor shooting but, the hood will protect the lens both from flare and from physical damage due to dropping, banging against a doorframe or other immovable object or the unusual instance when a dog decides to kiss your lens with its tongue. I would recommend getting a hood for the 50mm f/1.8 lens also. There are some eBay lens hoods which are quite inexpensive but, do a good job. There are two types of hoods, screw-in and bayonet, which needs an adapter; either works well. Here are a plethora of eBay hoods for the 50mm f/1.8 lens most of which are less than five U.S. dollars with shipping included ( http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=....c0.m270.l1313 ).

Don't forget that you have wireless flash capability with your camera/flash combination. That is pretty neat. Also don't forget that adding fill light outdoors will often bring your images up a notch in quality.

I almost always bounce my flash and use a Joe demb Flash Diffuser Pro (www.dembflashproducts.com) to modidy the light. However, you can fabricate a very adequate diffuser/reflector from cardboard or foamboard. Instructions are found at:
    http://super.nova.org/DPR/DIY01/
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 9th October 2011 at 04:18 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast