Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Benches in Black and White

Real Name
    Jason

Benches in Black and White

Hello,

I have had another go at SEP2. The photo is of some benches on Lake Burley Griffin here in Canberra. Trying out using manual control points where I feel they would work best as well as turning out a image that has a smoother finish to it. I am getting there slowly I think. C&C welcomed with open arms as always.

Cheers

Benches in Black and White

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Benches in Black and White

Quote Originally Posted by jstp View Post
    I am getting there slowly I think.
    You are indeed. I can't see anything I would have done differently.

You gave yourself a bit of a challenge by shooting on such a bright day with the sun obviously high in the sky. But, given that that is the challenge you set yourself, you've handled it well, I think. The sky looks good.

Did you start with one of the SEP2 presets, or is this just from neutral and only control points? Did you make any global adjustments?

Have you discovered the colour sensitivity sliders under Film Types yet? They can be really helpful in giving you control over subtle tone changes.

Looking good. If you're like me, you'll never feel you have totally mastered all that SEP2 can offer. It's about being on a rolling journey of discovery.

Real Name
    Terry

A nice capture, Jason, and nicely rendered to B&W.

A couple of questions to add to Donald's if I may?

Do you know what that is blowing water? Fire monitor?

Do you think cloning out the flag pole on the right side would be appropriate?

Real Name
    Jason

Hi Donald,
    Thanks, yes given the time of day I was not originally out taking photos of landscapes and such, I was visiting a couple of old buildings and trying for some interior type shots. But when I saw those dark clouds rolling across the sky I couldn't resist trying something. I did use one of the presets but I can not remember which one. And seeing as I have just managed to completely wipe my external hdd that held all my photos and everything else, I am not in a position to try to recreate. Just a note, if you are formatting drives using command prompt, pay close attention to what shows up as what.
    Hey Terry,
    Thanks as well, the water fountain is a monument to Captain James Cook that they built, it is turned on from 2-4pm daily. It is quite an impressive pump system they use as it goes a fair ways up into the sky. As for the flag pole, I had not thought about it but now that you mention it I think you are right. I am currently working on hopefully recovering my stuff from above mentioned brain failure and if all goes to plan I will be able to give it a go. And if not, well I will just have to go out and try to recapture the image.

Cheers

Real Name
    Kerry

Nice photo. Some great photo opportunities around Lake Burley Griffin. Is that taken from the Russell side of the lake?

Real Name
    Rob Douglas
    Nice composition. The lighting and contrast in this image are spot on. Great work on capturing this image. I'm on the fence about the flag pole, it isn't really a distraction for me so I'm not sure if I would go threw the trouble to clone it out.

Real Name
    Ramachandran

Nicely taken.
    The benches remind me of some reclining figures of Moore. I think the angle did that. A little more black would perhaps add to the character of the benches.
    I find the fountain and to some extent the clouds et cetera a bit distracting and diminishing the mood created by the benches.

Real Name
    Mal

Brings back memories of my time in Defence and running around the lake Great capture Jason.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by jstp View Post
    And seeing as I have just managed to completely wipe my external hdd that held all my photos and everything else, I am not in a position to try to recreate.
    Jason - I am so sorry.

The hard lesson from that is that you need to think about investing in some gear that will back-up your files.

Real Name
    Jason

Hey again,

Sorry for replying late, I am currently away where there is not internet connection ready to hand. Thankyou for the extra comments, yes it is on the North side of the Lake, not far from Blundells Cottage. I know all about running around the lake because funnily enough I am in Defence as well. I now have a program and extra storage space that I will be setting up when I get home to protect my work, I also should be able to retrieve my photos.

Cheers