Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Nikon Lens 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX Len

Real Name
    Paul Melkus

Nikon Lens 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX Len

I just pickup the 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX len for my D3100 and can't say enough good things about it well worth the money and I'm sure I will have this on most of time. But I'm still not sure what zoom len to go for I can't spend a ton, I have to live on retirement pay was thinking the 55-200mm myself.
    Thanks for the help.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Nikon Lens 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX Len

Quote Originally Posted by Melkus View Post
    But I'm still not sure what zoom len to go for - I can't spend a ton, I have to live on retirement pay so to all the Nikon owners what can you recommend.
    Hi Paul,

Well that depends what you want to shoot and whether you have a kit lens at all?

We could suggest a telephoto when you are thinking wide angle, or vice versa

For the price, I have considered getting that 35mm lens, but feel already owning the 50mm, there is probably not enough difference in focal length to be worthwhile. Still good to know you're pleased with it.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Paul Melkus

Came with the 18-55. Now with this new len I don't see me using it much at all just need more zoom without breaking the bank. I do like doing some wildlife but just can't affore some of the higher end lens I look at.

Real Name
    Troy

It was great when I bought it, but now it can't focus correctly. I tried it on my D80 and on a friend's D5000 - no matter what I do it always focuses behind the object. It probably needs calibration.

Real Name
    Paul Melkus

Troy no problems yet with it then again just got it. Thanks for heads up.

Real Name
    Mal

Quote Originally Posted by Melkus View Post
    I just pickup the 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX len for my D3100 and can't say enough good things about it well worth the money and I'm sure I will have this on most of time. But I'm still not sure what zoom len to go for I can't spend a ton, I have to live on retirement pay was thinking the 55-200mm myself.
    Thanks for the help.
    The 55-200mm seems to have a couple of pretty good write ups around the place - especially for the price. You get an effective zoom of 300mm when you take into account the crop factor of the Nikon. You could also consider 3rd party lenses - I think Simga have a 70-300mm lens at a similar price - longer zoom range but no VR capability - although offset with a semi-macro capability. There's definitely choices for zoom lenses on a budget though.

Real Name
    Wayne Conrad

The 55-200 is one of the best lenses for the price. I recently picked up one for $115. It will work on the D3100 and carries on from your other zoom. I highly recommend it. Check your local Craig's List.