Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Canon 500D v 600D

Real Name
    Samantha Jane Eaton

Canon 500D v 600D

Found a deal for Canon 500D wth 18-55mm lense and 75-300mm lense included for £495 and a can get Canon 600D with 18-55mm lense and 75-300mm lense for £647. Dilemma! Is the 600D definitely wrth £150 more?

Real Name
    Russell

Re: Canon 500D v 600D

Hi, I moved over to full frame camera but Last week I bought a 600D as a back up and of course took a couple shots with it and to me they look fine but!!! this week while out I had a small accident with the 600D and it fell from a rock but only about 3 feet or so and now the popup flash will not pop up unless I hold the camera in the portrait angle then it works apart from that there does not seem to be any other damage, so for build I cannot fault it either, on the downside though if you have big hands I would advise a grip to be added,(seen them on Ebay at about £25 for a 3rd party one).
    But if it was me I would go the extra mile with the 600D.
    Before you dive in you may want to look at to compair the price you have been offered
    NEW CANON EOS REBEL T3i / 600D DSLR CAMERA 18-55mm KIT
    Item number:110723507958
    Price:£514.99
    I no it is Ebay but worth the look.
    Russ
    Last edited by russellsnr; 10th December 2011 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Spelling

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by SJEaton View Post
    Found a deal for Canon 500D wth 18-55mm lense and 75-300mm lense included for £495 and a can get Canon 600D with 18-55mm lense and 75-300mm lense for £647. Dilemma! Is the 600D definitely wrth £150 more?
    Hi Samantha Jane,

I'm not a Canon shooter, but I didn't think the 75-300mm was that great a lens and I don't think it has IS either.

I wouldn't go for either on this basis, but I may be wrong, can a Canon shooter put us right please?

Good luck with the hunting,

Real Name
    Richard

I hate to be wishy-washy about this but, IMO, the 75-300mm zoom is one of the worst lenses that Canon has ever produced. It was the second lens that I purchased (at the time, I did not realize the differences in quality among Canon lenses) and I kept the lens for les than a week. Thinking that I had received a bad copy, I tested several other lenses in the camera store. All provided the same relatively low quality. I then waited until I was ready to afford the 70-200mm f/4L (non-IS) lens.

The Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS and the Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 VC lenses are somewhat more expensive but are both far superior and well worth the extra price if you can afford it!

In the 75-300mm price range, the Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro provides better performance, but probably can only be found on the used market.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=18145257

Real Name
    Jim

A word about the 70-300 IS -picture quality isn't too bad but the AF is horrenous. Unless you're in very good light with good contrast it wheezes and grunts like a malfunctioning 19th century steam engine. When I win the lottery I'll chuck it and buy something else.

Real Name
    Toño

Hi Samantha

I bought the 600D (Rebel T3i in America) last summer and I'm very happy with it. For me the quality of the pictures is very good and the camera has performed very well, considering that I just have the kit lens, 18-55 mm.

For the use I give to the camera, I have no complains about it whatsoever. You get full HD video in case you need it. I mainly take pictures, but I have used the video like 4 or 5 times and the image quality is very good. So far I've taken more than 2,000 pictures and the camera still performs very well.

The articulated LCD screen has very good definition and may become handy if you are shooting in a non-orthodox position, or for self-portraits.

Regarding the 70-300 lens, I've read bad reviews of the lens, not only here, but also on the Best Buy and Amazon sites. I recently posted a thread about a telephoto lens here and I was advised, by Richard and others, to go for a lens with IS. Therefore I decided for the Canon 55-250 WITH IS. I'm expecting it this coming Monday

Definitely don't go for the 70-300 without IS if you don't have a tripod and/or prefer handheld shooting.

Toño

Real Name
    Trev

Sam to sum up, yes go for the 600D body but maybe think about dropping the zoom lense and just get one with a 18-55 kit lense and put the money you save towards a better zoom lense or alternativly just buy the camera body and then have a think about a lense to buy seperatly. Gimme a call and i'll talk you through some stuff, you know my number :-)

Real Name
    Richard

BTW: Although the 75-300mm is a dog, you can often find Canon kits including a Rebel (series) camera along with the 18-55mm iS and 55-250mm IS lenses. Either of these two lenses are quite good for the price and sometimes the kit is discounted way below the cost of the individual items. Make sure however about the reliability of the vendor who is advetrising the kits.

Real Name
    Samantha Jane Eaton

Thanks all, and there was me thinking I'd found a good deal with a good lens....doh!