Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Wide Angle for Nikon D3100

Wide Angle for Nikon D3100

Im looking at the Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM or Tamron SP AF 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) for my first wide angle lens. Which do you think is a better choice? Or is there another better one out there other than these two? Please help me decide. I dont want to regret my purchase. Thanks

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Re: Wide Angle for Nikon D3100

Quote Originally Posted by BradSut26 View Post
    Im looking at the Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM or Tamron SP AF 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) for my first wide angle lens. Which do you think is a better choice? Or is there another better one out there other than these two? Please help me decide. I dont want to regret my purchase. Thanks

Hi Brad, I'm very pleased with the Tonika 11-16mm wide angle for my D3100. It does not have autofocus but unless you are in low light conditions the DoF is fairly large and you can use the D3100's focusing indicator for manual focusing. Take a look at Rockwell's take on this lens. http://www.kenrockwell.com/tokina/11-16mm.htm

Real Name
    Mark

im with frank on the tokina, i love mine

The Nikon 14-24 is almost certainly the best wide angle zoom in the world. Not expensive at all if you take resale value into the equation.

is 14mm worth that much money though? when i have a lens that goes down to 18? noob question i know haha. but is 14 enough for great landscape shots?

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by BradSut26 View Post
    but is 14 enough for great landscape shots?
    Generally speaking, 14mm is far TOO wide for great landscape shots.

Don't assume that wider is better when it comes to landscape - often the extreme field of view gives you some serious problems to solve (like distracting parts of the scene - light fall off (not to be confused with vignetting, which may or may not be another issue).

Have a read of an article I wrote for (premier filter manufacturer) Singh-Ray's blog a while back ...

http://singhray.blogspot.com/2009/09...-for-your.html

Real Name
    Mark

I dont use my Tokina for landscapes often i prefer something longer and will stitch a panorama together, my 50mm is nicer but will get a 35 when ive stopped spending money on lights! i use my wide for the perspective it gives i like the large foreground and small background look, its a lens thats fun to play with, but you need to take some thought in how you use it to its best,